Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#511574  by peconicstation

I am hoping that someone knows the name of the movie I am talking about.

........and NO, it has nothing to do with Pelham 1-2-3

This movie is from the early to mid 70'. The premise was a group of riders in a subway car late at night, that heard a loud explossion, and then the Subway car started to pick up speed and then crashed.

The bulk of the movie is this group of passengers trying to escape from the Subway tunnel only to find most ways are blocked by debris.
The movie ends with them finally coming to an opening where they see daylight, not knowing what they are going to find up above.

Does anyone know what Movie this is ??

Thanks

Ken

#511750  by ajp

short walk to daylight 1972

#511897  by peconicstation

ajp wrote:short walk to daylight 1972
Thank You!

Now I just have to find a copy of it.

Ken

#512034  by Paul1705

[Possible spoilers?]

The premise of the movie is that an earthquake strikes New York during the late night hours. Everything is seen from the point of view of the people underground, who have no idea what is happening above

It had a quirky cast, including James Brolin and Franklin Cover, who later became famous on The Jeffersons.

#512901  by arrow

There's a newer movie called "Daylight". I assume it's a remake of the one mentioned above. It's available on Netflix for watching online or for rent.

#513439  by jersey_emt

arrow wrote:There's a newer movie called "Daylight". I assume it's a remake of the one mentioned above. It's available on Netflix for watching online or for rent.
It's not a remake of that film. Daylight is about an explosion in a vehicular tunnel under the Hudson River (they never mention or hint to whether it is the Lincoln Tunnel or the Holland Tunnel) that traps some people inside.

#513783  by Trackseventeen

If you ask me... I know you didnt, but Im gonna tell you anyway... hands down, the Best Subway movie ever made is the 1968 made for TV drama "The Incident" starring Martin Sheen, Jeff Bridges and Ed McMahon. I wont give any spoilers, but its premise is the perils of passengers riding the Jerome Ave line into Manhatten after hours. Ive read that even though its the Jerome Ave Line, the cars shown are actually IND cars. I guess you could say thats nitpicking. Anyway, its a great portrayal of what the subway had been allowed to be become after 20+ years of deferred attention and the increase of crime that was so prevalent on the system in the 70s. I know the movie is available on VHS.. I watched it about 4 years ago, but this was before video stores went totally DVD. Actually, in my opinion, this movie should have its own thread on this message board... Get it, you wont be disapointed.

#514912  by fl9m2026

Ive read that even though its the Jerome Ave Line, the cars shown are actually IND cars
I was always under the impression they were the 1939 IRT World's Fair cars... and BTW, you're right. It is an EXCELLENT flick!

#514984  by 3rdrail

I'll third that one. "The Incident" is excellent. I enjoyed it much more than "The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3". It has drama in it so chilling that you can cut it with a knife ! The acting is brilliant and the set and story incredibly realistic. I haven't seen it in many years, but if I'm not mistaken, the entire movie takes place inside one subway car. Big thumbs up ! :-D

#515020  by pennsy

Might also refer you to the movie "Meteor" with Karl Malden and Sean Connery. It was the last movie that Natalie Wood was in. A meteor fragment cuts through central park, NYC, and the only way they can save themselves is by going through the subway tunnels. Once again, great shots of the old IND subway cars.

It also reminded me of the blackout of 1965, when my wife, then fiancee, had to climb down the IND car with the other passengers and walk the center of the tracks etc. to the next stop, and make their way to the street. And all this was done in high heels, you try that sometime.
She finally got to a phone and I picked her up by car. She would have given her car for a cell phone at that time.