Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#497626  by Terrapin Station

LINK

In the article linked above, the reporter wrote:
Unlike in most of New York City's newest subway trains, rail buffs will still be able to stand inside at the front of the train in the new PATH cars, face pressed to the long glass, to take in the rush of tracks, tunnels and stations alongside the engineer's enclosed perch.
I emailed the reporter to seek clarification, as some people were expecting, or even outright claiming, that PATH would keep the front cab unfolded, thereby blocking off access to the railfan window that would then be within the full width cab. But in his response to me he confirmed that the PATH official he quoted in the article also told him that the front cab would be folded, effectively making it a narrow cab, and thereby allowing access to the railfan window, and providing more room for the passengers.

Assuming the reporter understood the PATH official correctly and assuming the PATH official was correct and fully understood the question, this is great news!

#497932  by jersey_emt

This is indeed good news, but I'll believe it when I see it.

#499493  by PONYA

The new PA 5 's have not been field tested. The Engineer's seat is set much further back in the cab, than current cars. Road testing will determine if Engineers can see the ocassional "Repeater Signal" (left side of operating direction) as opposed standard to the right or overhead fixed signals. The unfolded cab/cab folded question will remain undtermined.
The ability for Engineer to properly read the repeater signal in tight curves will be the overriding factor.
Even with the new cab signaling down the road, Interlocking Signals will remain and some of the tightest curves on the system remain at these points. Time will tell.
 #499695  by Head-end View

This is great news if it's true. But even if it is, PATH could still change their minds about this later. Remember NYCT's IRT R-62A cars originally ran with the corner cabs but after some years their cabs were folded out ruining the view. So let's hope we get lucky........ :-D
 #994195  by Head-end View

Well, history has now proved that somebody didn't know what they were talking about. The cabs don't appear to be "convertible". I took a good look inside one, thru the engineer's side window recently and there is so much equipment cabinets mounted on the left side of the cab, I doubt it is "convertible", but I could be wrong........ There are cabinets on both the inside wall of the front of the train where the R/F window was on the old trains, and on the cab partition with a very narrow aisle for the engineer to move to the left side window if he needed to. Anyone have authoritative up-to-date info?
 #994622  by 25Hz

I've been on several PATH trains where the engineer closed the cab door forward, allowing view out the front door's window. Most close it back though, blocking the view.
 #994663  by Head-end View

Guess we'd better define the word "convertible". It doesn't just mean the the position of the cab-door. It means the left-side cab-wall can be folded back to create a corner-cab configuration. If you remember the early days of NYCTA's IRT R-62/62A cars in the late 1980's, you'll know what I'm talking about. They originally were set-up as corner-cabs, but later on the walls were "unfolded" to convert it to a full-width cab.
 #995120  by R36 Combine Coach

Head-end View wrote:Guess we'd better define the word "convertible". It doesn't just mean the the position of the cab-door. It means the left-side cab-wall can be folded back to create a corner-cab configuration. If you remember the early days of NYCTA's IRT R-62/62A cars in the late 1980's, you'll know what I'm talking about. They originally were set-up as corner-cabs, but later on the walls were "unfolded" to convert it to a full-width cab.
The single units on the #7 still remain in the small cab configuration and the linked sets can have the the cabs fold down into small cabs if needed.
 #995401  by Head-end View

Correct, R36! With the retirement of the PA-4's, the Flushing bound #7 train is now about the last good front-window view left in NYC area transit.
 #995849  by R36 Combine Coach

Head-end View wrote:Correct, R36! With the retirement of the PA-4's, the Flushing bound #7 train is now about the last good front-window view left in NYC area transit.
You can still catch a R32 on the C 7 days a week, on weekday peak hours R42s can be found along the J/Z. The other option would be the New Haven Line, where you can catch a M-2 anytime.
 #996809  by 25Hz

Head-end View wrote:Guess we'd better define the word "convertible". It doesn't just mean the the position of the cab-door. It means the left-side cab-wall can be folded back to create a corner-cab configuration. If you remember the early days of NYCTA's IRT R-62/62A cars in the late 1980's, you'll know what I'm talking about. They originally were set-up as corner-cabs, but later on the walls were "unfolded" to convert it to a full-width cab.
The equipment & relay panel compartment on the left has a small door that is/can be closed, then the main door can be closed back or forward creating full or half cab respectively. It was fun that one time i rode all the way to 33rd looking through new clean glazing!
 #1024609  by 25Hz

LIRR has a similar configuration on its M7's. There are 2 seats and to the right across the "hall" is the cab. In operation the cab door is opened parallel to the front end, when not in use it's opened perpendicular to the front, creating a pass-through to the end door & the other car(s). This pass though is where the seats are on the left.

In any case, as much as I love a head end view, having the corner of the car be solid vs a column between side & front windows makes sense from a safety standpoint.