Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#482473  by Chessie GM50

Crap. Absloute crap.

This thing should be locked, just like the VRE one, the NJT one, it is fine if you are putting some junk on some of your cars on your models, but you don't have to make a buisness out of it. I model 1985-1995, and during that peroid, alot of that junk started to appear, but I have none of it on my carsw, because I don't like it, and the vandals that commit grafitti may be altering the cars running aspects, and causing a catastrophe. Mr. arrow, lock this thing when you get the chance.

#485225  by jersey_emt

My thinking is to ignore the once-prevalent graffiti in modeling is to ignore a large chunk of NYC subway history. We can't only focus on the 'high points', we also need to remember the lows as well.

As long as it is only models being tagged and not 1:1 scale, there is nothing wrong with it, IMHO.

#485231  by pennsy

Hi Jersey,

Interesting point. Out west there are actually contests for the best looking and artistic Graffitti. Always done on the walls of some isolated approved spot, with prizes and awards for the winners.

To have it on your model RR layout is accepatable within reason. Garbage is unacceptable, but artwork, artistic endeavors, etc. are definitely a plus factor. There are areas of the Los Angeles River, where the walls are incredible. Must have taken hours with several artists to complete. As far as I know, the paint spray cans etc. are at the artist's expense.

#485290  by Crabman1130

I agree with Chessie. It's vandalism and it shouldn't be promoted.

#485306  by jersey_emt

Crabman1130 wrote:I agree with Chessie. It's vandalism and it shouldn't be promoted.
It's not being promoted. It is simply making a historically accurate model.

#485355  by arrow

I agree, it shouldn't be promoted.

#486487  by arrow

I think we can all be civil about this, not like what happened over at the NJT Rail Forum. I don't like it, but we are free to discuss things in a non-aggressive manner.