Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#474912  by chuchubob

rail10 wrote:Do you know of any nyc subway train that passes through along with the alingment of the lirr and metro north commuter trains?
The 7 train runs adjacent to the LIRR briefly where it (7) comes out of the tunnel in Queens at Sunnyside. The 7 also passes over the LIRR at Woodside. Both photos were taken from the 7 train platform at Woodside.
 #475218  by rail10

I will like to say thank you about explaining the answer to my question.

#475522  by Love Train

There are several places like that on the Washington D.C. Metro, my home subway line.

#475628  by Robert Paniagua

And also in my hometown of Boston, Both outer ends of the Orange Line (Oak Grove along B & M), Forest Hills along Amtrak/MBCR's NE Corridor, and South Shore Braintree Red Line (along CSXT with Old colony Psgr service to Kington/Middleboro/Greenbush)

The only other place in New York that runs along side a mainline is the stretch between 121st St and Jamaica Center on the J/Z lines which parallels the LIRR even though the J/Z trains dives underground but stills runs along the LIRR.

#475875  by CHIP72

I'm not an expert on the entire NYC area transit system, but I know one of the most prominent spots in the New York area where local heavy rail runs adjacent and parallel to commuter (and intercity) rail is just east of Newark Penn Station. There you have a pseudo-local/express rail alignment with the PATH Newark-WTC line on the outer (local) tracks and the Northeast Corridor on the inner (express) tracks. The best location to observe this interesting alignment is at the Harrison PATH station.

The issue in NYC with parallel local/commuter lines is a lot of the subway lines are, well subways, so you can't see the local lines from the commuter lines and vice-versa.

#476132  by alchemist

Close, but maybe no cigar: the L runs alongside the old Connecting RR through Bushwick and East New York.

#476137  by SwingMan

For old time. The A train runs along the former LIRR Rockaway Beach Line. And a partial one's are the following: LIRR Flatbush Ave Track 6; LIRR Hunterspoint Ave. Sta track 1. Hope this helps :-) . lirr415-Peter

#476150  by jtunnel

The 1 passes over the Metro North Hudson Line in Northern Manhattan.

The 6 passes over the NEC/CSX north of Hunts Point

Folks already mentioned the 7 at Woodside, also when the train exits Hunterspoint Avenue the LIRR/Amtrak is parallel to the tracks for a few hundred feet and then crosses over Sunnyside Yard along Queens Blvd. Amtrak and LIRR are present

#476193  by pennsy

HI All,

On the A train, and E train, going to the Rockaways, the MTA did a huge job of renovating the tracks, rebuilding the trestles and putting in new bridges. So today there isn't much left of the old LIRR track.

When the LIRR used those tracks, the trestles had a nasty habit of catching fire and burning down at the worst possible times. Once the MTA. NYC TA put in concrete trestles and steel bridges, the problem was solved and one could count on commuting with the IND, for twice the normal carfare. But those were the days my friend.

#479153  by y2julio

The N train heading towards Coney Island after splitting off from the R line @ 59th Street runs parallel to a freight line.

#481685  by Crabman1130

Dosen't the M train cross over the LIRR lower Montauk line?

#482210  by hs3730

Yup, and the J/Z by 121st crosses it at the former Richmond Hill station. I think the tunnel portal near there is alongside one of the more used LIRR routings out of Jamaica, as I recall times of running alongside a J for a few seconds.

You can also see the Port Washington branch parallel the Flushing line while on the bridge north of Willets Pt, albeit not very closely.

The best situation where you will be on a system that accepts Metrocard parallel to a commuter rail line is the PATH at Harrison, where the NJT and Amtrak trains run between the PATH tracks for about a mile (including through the station). Sadly, NYC has nothing even close to that type of integration.

If you're ever up north in Boston, the MBTA orange and red lines have nice long segments shared with MBCR tracks.

#482244  by SwingMan

Well, the Corona yard is parallel to the LIRR.

lirr415-Peter

#489203  by TheKornGuy

Surprised no one has meantioned this yet, but the NYC subway has a DIRECT connection to a freight line in Brooklyn, NY. Directly past the 9th Ave stop on the D and M trains (right before the merge with the R line) is a track that leads under the BQE and directly onto 2nd Ave. The track is not electrified past the switch where it splits off from the D and M line. The trackage leads to a waterfront MTA yard directly past 2nd Avenue where work trains and trains to be scrapped are stored. Before the trackage reaches that yard, there is a switch ON 2nd Ave (yes, there is still active street running in NYC) that connects to the Cross Harbor Railroad. This connection has not been used in some time. However, the MTA's waterfront yard directly across from the Cosco and 2nd Ave has been recently used to store out of service Red Bird trains before they are scrapped. The Cross Harbor Railroad is also still in service, floating fraight cars from their 2nd Ave yard in Brooklyn (a few blocks away from the MTA yard) to their NJ location. Hard to believe this still happens in NYC, right? You can go check out all these yards and trackage right now as they are all still in use.
To the south of the 9th Ave stop, two tracks veer off to the left. This used to be the connection to the South Brooklyn Railway which no longer exists. The connection is still in place, and the two existing South Brooklyn Railroad tracks (which now terminate a short distance from the switch) is used by the MTA to store work trains at times.

Also, the L train used to have a direct connection with the LIRR! This was at the New Lots Ave station. Currently, the L train DOES run parallel to the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch (currently operated by NYA railways, the same people who do the LIRR freight on Long Island), but the connection no longer exists.

There is a lot more interesting stuff on existing trackage which isnt used much on this website: http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/bigbklyn-2.png

Enjoy!