Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#468190  by madcrow

Me and a groups of friends in my photo class as coming down to NYC at the end of the month and I was just wondering if yiou locals had any recoomendations as to what stations are good for photography (aka well-enough lit to not need a flash at ISO 400 or so AND that look somewhat interesting. If this were just me, I'd head out to the Els of Brooklyn for some nice "hardcore" railfanning, but most of the rest of these kids aren't into it very much, so being in Manhattan would be a plus too.
 #468331  by Allan

madcrow wrote:Me and a groups of friends in my photo class as coming down to NYC at the end of the month and I was just wondering if yiou locals had any recoomendations as to what stations are good for photography (aka well-enough lit to not need a flash at ISO 400 or so AND that look somewhat interesting. If this were just me, I'd head out to the Els of Brooklyn for some nice "hardcore" railfanning, but most of the rest of these kids aren't into it very much, so being in Manhattan would be a plus too.
Smith-9th Street has one of the best views of the Manhattan skyline coupled with leaving and arriving trains (F and G).

Coney Island station - D, F, N and Q lines. It was recently 100% rebuilt and now looks like a European style train terminal. BTW - if you go here, have Nathan's hotdogs for lunch (it is across the street from the terminal).

125th St Manhattan on the 1.

If you have the time go to www.nycsubway.org and browse through the various photos there for the various lines. You may get some ideas from there.

http://www.railfanwindow.com/ is another good place to get some ideas from.

I advise that you print and carry copies of the MTA Rules regarding Photography on the subway (link below). There are NYPD officers and MTA staff who will tell you that it is illegal (citing 9/11 etc) and will do what they can to harrass you (including tell you to erase digital photos - they can ask but they can't force you to). Some people have been taken to local police precincts and held for a while as the police "check" your identification.

My advice - avoid using flash whenever possible. If you must use flash, be discreet and NEVER aim it at an oncoming train. Do not linger to long in any one spot - take your pictures and move on (you can always come back). Do not try to go into areas that are not usually accessed by the public. No tripods, unipods or anything like that are permitted.

Don't block passgeways or otherwise impede the normal flow of pedestrian/passenger traffic.

If approached by a police officer or MTA employee - be respectful, have ID and a copy of the MTA rules handy. Have a pad and pen ready to note the officers name and badge number if necessary. If you feel you are "fighting a losing battle" even though you may be in the right - just move on (you can always come back).

Here is a link of the MTA rules:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm#restricted

Make sure that you print from the 1050.9 through at least item f. Also make sure that your printout contains the URL and date at the bototm. That will quell any comments that you typed it yourself or that the rules were changes and your information is out of date.

I know this sound a bit ominous but all in all you will have fun.

Enjoy.
 #468563  by Head-end View

Don't forget Queensboro Plaza elevated station also. And 61st St. Woodside right above the 6-track LIRR main/Pt. Washington line. Both on the #7 line. :wink:

#469548  by madcrow

Thanks for the tips. Noone else in the groups particularly seems to want to go out of their way for train shots, so I'll have to find a way to detach myself from the group if I want to enact any of them... Still it sems like it would be worth it.

#469549  by madcrow

Thanks for the tips. Noone else in the groups particularly seems to want to go out of their way for train shots, so I'll have to find a way to detach myself from the group if I want to enact any of them... Still it sems like it would be worth it.

#469550  by madcrow

#469551  by madcrow

#470111  by Conrail8124

Take a look at some of my pics & see if there are any stations that look like a good shot. The 7 line in LIC, the N in Astoria are good bets & not to far from Manhattan. South Brooklyn has some good shots on all the lines - the Q/B at Beverly has a nice curve, the D at 18th Ave is a nice shot too. Try the N at any of the Sea Beach stations - pretty much the same shot. The F can be had at Smith/9th - if you stand at the front on the Manhattan bound platform, you can get a good shot of Brooklyn bound trains coming around the curve.

Here is the link to the photos - they all have the station name in them, so you should have no problem. Let us know where you went. What camera are you using? And I second what the other guys said - no flash, don't stay in 1 place to long & be prepared to be questioned. Usually they leave you alone if you don't get nasty, but have a copy of the rules nevertheless.

http://flickr.com/photos/cesposito2035/ ... 584620733/

#470701  by AMoreira81

To add to what Conrail8124 posted above, you can look here to find good photo spots. Many are also underground spots.

#470981  by uhaul

If you ride the 1 train northward you can get some good shots of the 207th Street Yard. I saw a few Redbirds there back in December of 2006.
 #476583  by abaduck

madcrow wrote:Me and a groups of friends in my photo class as coming down to NYC at the end of the month and I was just wondering if yiou locals had any recoomendations as to what stations are good for photography
Any where the cops aren't...

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.js ... &aid=76306

"The NYPD is being slapped with a lawsuit after detaining a graduate student who was taking pictures near a subway station in Upper Manhattan.

The New York Civil Liberties Union says Arun Wiita was taking pictures outside the 207th Street subway stop on the 1 train in July, when a police officer got suspicious, handcuffed him and detained him for a half an hour.

Wiita says he was taking photos for a personal project chronicling the city's subway stops.

"I was definitely embarrassed. It was definitely humiliating to be standing on a street corner. Obviously people were staring at me thinking, ‘why is that guy in cuffs?’” said Wiita.

Wiita says initially the officer did not tell him why he was stopped or handcuffed. He says the officer checked his I.D. and told him he may have to issue him a ticket.

Eventually two plainclothes officers showed up on the scene, questioned him and looked through the pictures on his camera before letting him go."

Mike