Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#468007  by B0000rt

Yikes, that's a big percentage increase $1.50 to $2.00
--Daily PATH commuters who use the 20- or 40-ride fare card will see an increase from $1.20 to $1.50 per ride, a steeper discount than is currently offered. Cash fares would increase from $1.50 to $2 per trip.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/1 ... today.html

Maybe the PA will start making money off of PATH... heh

Yikes, looks like the QuikCards are more "worth it" compared to the MetroCard+Discount ($1.50 vs $1.67, compared with $1.20 vs $1.25 now)
 #468326  by Allan

B0000rt wrote:Yikes, that's a big percentage increase $1.50 to $2.00
--Daily PATH commuters who use the 20- or 40-ride fare card will see an increase from $1.20 to $1.50 per ride, a steeper discount than is currently offered. Cash fares would increase from $1.50 to $2 per trip.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/1 ... today.html

Maybe the PA will start making money off of PATH... heh

Yikes, looks like the QuikCards are more "worth it" compared to the MetroCard+Discount ($1.50 vs $1.67, compared with $1.20 vs $1.25 now)
It is the same as the previous hike from $1.00 to $1.50.

One easy way to get around this. Before the fare increase goes into effect buy extra 20 or 40 trip Quickcards (or add the value to the Smartlink Card). As long as you use the Quickcards within 6 months after buying (and assuming that PATH doesn't phase them out in favor of the SmartLink card within that 6 months) you will continue to save that extar .30. If you put the extra trips on the SmartLink card (to the maximum allowed - which isn't specified) then you are good for as long as you have trips on it because the SmartLink cards don't expire for at least 4 years (expected useful life of the embedded chip). Just make sure you register the card just in case it gets lost ofr damaged. Right now I don't have it registered but once I really load mine up I will register it - I don't wnat to chance losing all that $$). I can always buy a new unregistered card once I use up all my rides (if I don't want to stay registered on PATHs files - which isn't a big issue for me).
 #469311  by B0000rt

Allan wrote:It is the same as the previous hike from $1.00 to $1.50.

One easy way to get around this. Before the fare increase goes into effect buy extra 20 or 40 trip Quickcards (or add the value to the Smartlink Card). As long as you use the Quickcards within 6 months after buying (and assuming that PATH doesn't phase them out in favor of the SmartLink card within that 6 months) you will continue to save that extar .30. If you put the extra trips on the SmartLink card (to the maximum allowed - which isn't specified) then you are good for as long as you have trips on it because the SmartLink cards don't expire for at least 4 years (expected useful life of the embedded chip). Just make sure you register the card just in case it gets lost ofr damaged. Right now I don't have it registered but once I really load mine up I will register it - I don't wnat to chance losing all that $$). I can always buy a new unregistered card once I use up all my rides (if I don't want to stay registered on PATHs files - which isn't a big issue for me).
Nice, thanks for the tip, i'll be sure to load up on QuickCards soon enough.

They expire after 6 months of purchase? So for me its' 40trips a month, so I can buy 6 of them eh?

#469413  by Allan

"Nice, thanks for the tip, i'll be sure to load up on QuickCards soon enough.

They expire after 6 months of purchase? So for me its' 40trips a month, so I can buy 6 of them eh?"

Yes. The QuickCards have the date of expiration printed on the back. It is 180 days (approximately 6 months) from the date of purchase.