Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#468418  by Paul1705

You've got a lot there; let me concentrate on the Bronx first (where I live).

1. If you've got a new central Bronx route (the T train), it should probably share a new terminal with the D at Burke Avenue and White Plains Road. (There was a concept to extend the D to that location a while ago - the early 1970s?).

2. I've thought of connecting the 3 train into the Jerome-Woodlawn line too. The old connection for the 9th Avenue el still exists; however, it was recently blocked by the new Yankee Stadium. Thus that idea is much harder to implement.

3. I don't think you can justify a new tunnel for the B and Q as shown. Any additional service to the East Bronx could branch off the T line, which has a new crossing of the Harlem River (from the Second Avenue subway?)

4. A new crosstown service for the borough (you show it as the Q train) might be worthwhile. However, it probably should be further north. It might be possible to extend the A under Fordham Road (rather than going to Riverdale). The Regional Plan Association proposed that for the 1 train years ago; they would have eliminated the elevated line up to Van Cortlandt Park.

Just my thoughts, anyway.

#468841  by drumz0rz

7 goes into Jersey eh? I don't think the PATH would be too happy.

#469266  by Paul1705

There was a concept in the 1990s, during the Access to the Region's Core study, to extend the 7 train across the river, but to Secaucus.

This map shows an 8 train going to Jersey City, it seems, which would indeed duplicate the PATH system. The part of New Jersey that needs rail access the most is Bergen County. It looks like NJ Transit is going to be dealing with that for the forseeable future; the MTA has its hands full elsewhere.

#470305  by DCmetrogreen

Thanks for all the comments. When I first started the map I didn't know as much then as I do now and I'm still no NY expert. It's still a work in progress as I have made changes just recently.

#470468  by paulb

I like it, though I can't quite take it in without seeing a few streets or landmarks. In particular, I think, you're on the right track--sorry--with the extension of the A to Riverdale, the Bronx crosstown route, and the extension of the L west on 14th street then up the far west side. I like the latter better than NYT's intention to extend the 7 line, even though the L doesn't give the direct connection from Times Square and Grand Central to Javitz.

How about a new Queens route? Extend east on Houston, under river to Williamsburg and then to Nassau line via Metropolitan Avenue and Union Turnpike.

#471000  by Paul1705

Extension of the L to Chelsea Piers and then to a shared terminal with the 7 at the Convention Center seems like a good idea. However, the MTA is having trouble completing just the 7 train extension.

There was a plan in the 1930s for a Houston Street tunnel that would have supported new routes to Queens and central Brooklyn. I think a higher priority now would be getting more use out of the existing 63rd Street tunnel, which could handle additional trains on the upper level.

#471280  by paulb

Paul1705 wrote:I think a higher priority now would be getting more use out of the existing 63rd Street tunnel, which could handle additional trains on the upper level.
In that case, route the crosstown G line into the 63rd street tunnel. Let a new Metropolitan Ave/Union Tpke line share the G connection--maybe a widened section of the G line with express tracks--from Metropolitan Avenue up to the tunnel.

Or, as the L train tube at 14th street probably has extra capacity, route my new Queens line into Manhattan that way. But extending the Houston line east might spur economic development on the far east side.

The city's government doesn't seem able to cope with funding mass transit development. I don't know why--it's a very wealthy city.

#472723  by Paul1705

The Second Avenue station on the F train does have provisions for a Houston Street crossing of the East River. The two center tracks would have provided access to the new tunnel. I'm guessing that there would have been a new station for the far East Side, although I have no information about where it would have been.

If I may comment further on the fantasy map: I think it's a good idea to extend the Myrtle Avenue line (served by the Z train on the map) deeper into Queens. However, I don't see the point having that big terminal for four lines (G, R, V, and Z) just north of Forest Park. I can't think of anything in that area that would justify that much service.

Probably a restoration of the Rockaway cut-off, with either LIRR or subway service, could handle the needs of that part of Queens.