Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#450157  by TheKornGuy

Hey everyone,
I couldn't find any other forum that would allow topics on Staten Island trains, so I figured I would ask here.
There is some track that has recently been re-built on Staten Island, and part of it runs along Rt 440 heading towards the Outerbridge and seems to disapear into an abandoned yard after that. When on 440, you can see the trackage directly north of the Victory Blvd exit. The tracks also cross South Ave.
Any idea what these tracks used to be used for and what the future plans for them are since they recently got rebuilt? Who currently owns this trackage?
Thanks!!

#450408  by jtunnel

There is a posting on the New Jersey Railfan portion of the forum that covers this (The line in S.I. is connected to New Jersey, and it is where the CRSA operation is connected to the mainland)

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37091

In a nut shell, Conrail Shared Assets is now running trains down the Chemical Coast line to Staten Island for the container port at Howland Hook and a waste transfer Station down near Travis.

#454139  by TheKornGuy

Thanks for the responce!! When do you think is the best time to catch trains running through that area in SI? And how far allong that ROW do trains travel before terminating? Just to the port?

#456083  by n2cbo

A friend of mine runs the rail operation at NYCT (New York Container Terminal). I've seen it, and it is positively a FIRST CLASS Operation. They usually run cars into Arlington Yard between noon and 2PM.

#456276  by BobLI

Any pics available of the S.I. operations?

#460021  by TheKornGuy

any idea what the abandoned yard meantioned in my first post was used for? (and who currently owns it?)

#460022  by TheKornGuy

any idea what the abandoned yard meantioned in my first post was used for? (and who currently owns it?)

#460031  by n2cbo

TheKornGuy wrote:any idea what the abandoned yard meantioned in my first post was used for? (and who currently owns it?)
Is that the one next to the power plant?