Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#449193  by jersey_emt

According to an article in today's AM New York (a free local newspaper), the MTA is considering increasing the subway fare 25 cents, from $2.00 to $2.25.

There are two separate proposals for MetroCards:

Proposal #1: Thirty-day unlimited MetroCards would increase to $79.00, from $76.00. A new 14-day unlimited card would be available for $45.00. Seven-day unlimited cards would increase to $25.00, from $24.00.

Proposal #2: Thirty-day unlimited MetroCards would increase to $81.00, from $76.00. Seven-day unlimited cards would increase to $26.00, from $24.00. The new 14-day pass would cost $48.00.

Both proposals have changes for pay-per-ride MetroCards, but their wording is rather confusing in the article and I don't want to pass on incorrect information.

I'm looking for a web link with this story to post. If anyone sees one, please post the link.

#449872  by arrow

The most important part of Option #2 was not mentioned. If you purchase a card for $6 or more, you can ride the subway for the same price as you do now - $2. As a bonus, you would get to ride during off-peak times (I'm not sure what MTA considers to be off-peak) for $1.50. However, there would be no more bonuses for putting more money on your card like there is now.

Of course, this still does nothing for the weekly and monthly customers. But it still seems like a better deal overall.