Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#441930  by jnewman

I was riding the 1 train today, and I spotted this interesting route designator on the roll sign. What could it be for?
Sorry about the poor quality, it was my cell phone camera.

#441948  by Pelham

That is a upside down # 9 Sign.

#442026  by jnewman

Of course, my brain is fried :wink:
Just another thing that was wrong on the 7th Ave. Subway today...
Oh, well.
Sorry.

#442111  by MACTRAXX

JN and Pelham: I looked at this one myself yesterday and then it hit me...Number 9,Number 9,The Watusi,The Twist....it is the Beatles song coming out...that is simply an upside down #9 roll sign. On the newest IRT equipment with the LED front # designation I wonder if it would have been possible to add the color green for #s 4,5 and 6;purple for the 7 and the digits 8 and 9 for future routes-color to be determined. MACTRAXX

#442238  by Gerry6309

A red 6 would be a towerman's nightmare! A red 4 is just a bad dream. Now a red 5 or a green 2 is within the realm of possibility. :)

#443879  by uhaul

Gerry6309, I do not understand why a red 6 would be a towerperson's nightmare and a red 4 a bad dream. Also, what is up with the red 5 or a green 2 being within the realm of possibility?
Is this some lingo I have no clue about?

9/11/01
9/11/07

#445100  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Talking about the colors of the LED's, why can't they make the LED on the front of the train, the color of the line ie, 1, 2, 3 Red, 4, 5, 6 Green and 7 Purple? Is it a cost cutting factor, cause it certainly not a technology issue.