Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by rail10

When the trip arm is raised during an emergency which stopsthe train what type of alarm sound will make finally how isthetrip arm is reset so the train can move again?

by jersey_emt

Here is an excellent explanation of the trip arm and how it works:

http://www.nycsubway.org/tech/signals/stops.html

I took a quick look for a photo of one, but was unsuccessful; if I do find a good photo I will post it up here.

by jersey_emt

Not the best photos, if anyone has found better examples please post them.

The trip arm is a yellow 'T'-shaped metal arm that is placed right next to, on the 'outer' side, of one rail.

In this photo, the trip arm is at the very bottom near the center. It is in the retracted position, meaning a train can pass over it without tripping the emergency brakes.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?67662

In this one, the trip arm is in the raised position. A train traveling over this section of track will be automatically placed into emergency. In this photo, the trip arm can be found in the lower right corner, above the yellow & black 'Sensitive Rolling Test Required' sign, and to the left of the lamppost.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?67887
  by RearOfSignal

rail10 wrote:When the trip arm is raised during an emergency which stopsthe train what type of alarm sound will make finally how isthetrip arm is reset so the train can move again?
The trip cock on the train itself would have to be reset. Depending on how fast the train was going when it was tripped, the trip arm might have to be replaced if it broke away. The trip cock on the train is painted white and the trip arm yellow, so that when they make contact they can see where it happened.
  by rail10

I will like to thanks for answering my question on the operations of the trip arm.

by bombardierman

i know this is old but to clarify that for youin laymans terms. there is no sound . when the "Trip Cock" as its called is tripped it dumps the air to the brakes. the only way to charge the brakes on the train again is to reset the Trip cock

by mhig9000

In the past two weeks both my girlfriend and I have gotten stuck partway into stations on the 6 line going downtown (I got stuck at 14th, she at Astor Place).

I'm not sure if it was because of a trip stop, but in my case I heard the brakes suddenly dump air, and the train came to an abrupt stop (we werent going very fast), then the train was stuck 3/4 into the station for 10 minutes before it started moving again. The conductor didnt give very specific information over the PA just that they were having problems.

My girlfriend reported experiencing similar events, and then the conductor coming onto the PA and announcing that the train had "gone into emergency."

So, 2 questions:

Was what we experienced likely a stop caused by the trip arms?

What is the procedure for resetting the trip cock after a trip stop?

Thanks in advance.
  by bombardierman

Things that cause the train to dump (air brakes)
1. Trip stop
2. Dead man
3. emergency brake pull handle (located in passenger cars) must be reset
4. Air leaks in pnuematic system