Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#41671  by GP38

JayMan wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:
Another example, the C should be converted to ALL Hawkers (R44 or R46 since R68 and R68A are not allowed to run on A, C or E routes.
Why can't the R-68s be used on the 8 Av routes?

Also, if we assume that R-160s will go to the Q route, then quite a few R-68s will be freed up for other lines (my guess will be the other Coney Island routes, such as the B, N, or W).
There is nothing stopping the R68's from running on the 8th Ave line. They just don't do it because the R68's are not assigned to any of the lines that run on 8th Ave. With the displacement caused by the arrival of the R160's may cause some interesting assignments, especially as many of the 60 foot cars are retired. One day, as everything is retired (not the the R46's are going anywhere yet), but one day far in the future, it will only be the R68's and new-tech cars (probably when something after the R160's are brought in someday int he future).

#41675  by Chris R16

GP38 wrote:
JayMan wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:
Another example, the C should be converted to ALL Hawkers (R44 or R46 since R68 and R68A are not allowed to run on A, C or E routes.
Why can't the R-68s be used on the 8 Av routes?

Also, if we assume that R-160s will go to the Q route, then quite a few R-68s will be freed up for other lines (my guess will be the other Coney Island routes, such as the B, N, or W).
There is nothing stopping the R68's from running on the 8th Ave line. They just don't do it because the R68's are not assigned to any of the lines that run on 8th Ave. With the displacement caused by the arrival of the R160's may cause some interesting assignments, especially as many of the 60 foot cars are retired. One day, as everything is retired (not the the R46's are going anywhere yet), but one day far in the future, it will only be the R68's and new-tech cars (probably when something after the R160's are brought in someday int he future).
It depends on what cars the MTA wants to retire first. If it's the R38's or R44's, then the new batch of 5 car sets will almost certainly appear first on the A line. If the slants are amongst the first cars to go, then some could appear at Coney Island.

Since I love the 75' cars, I want to see the R38's go first, then the slants. Send the first batch of 5 car set R160's to Pitkin and x-fer the R44's to Coney Island, where they can be used on the B & W routes, allowing these mechanically troublesome cars the opportunity to rest on nights and weekends, as is the current practice with the R40's.

#42083  by PacificCommand

R40S, and R44s will go first.

that is ALL that will be replaced by the primary order-- Some slants and all R44s.

#42085  by 7 Train

In my opinion, they should be scrapped by MDBF, with the R44 going first followed by the R42 or the R40/40M.

#42435  by Robert Paniagua

Although they go by age, the R32 first, then the R38, all R40s and then the R42. I don't think the R44's will be replaced by the R160.

#42451  by GP38

Robert Paniagua wrote:Although they go by age, the R32 first, then the R38, all R40s and then the R42. I don't think the R44's will be replaced by the R160.
In this case they will probably not go by age. The R32's are in the best shape out of all the 60 foot cars. Watch for the R32's to be the last 60 foot cars to go.
The R40 slants are probably in the worst shape and will be the first to go when the R160's arrive. Watch for the R38's to go next, followed by the R40M's and the R42's. The R32's will in all likeliness be the last of the old 60 foot cars from the graffiti era to go. The R32's are all stainless steel, unlike any of the other 60 foot cars. That's why they are not rusting away like the 38's, and especially the R40, R40M's, and he R42's. Some of the R32's may even outlive the R44's.

#42514  by Robert Paniagua

In this case they will probably not go by age. The R32's are in the best shape out of all the 60 foot cars. Watch for the R32's to be the last 60 foot cars to go.

Oh really? I though they go by age after all. Here in Boston, REGARDLESS of the MDFB or mechanical issues, the MBTA here gets rid of cars by age, for example the 01400s (#5 Cambridge-Dorchester 1963 Pullman-Standard Cars) were the first to go in 1994 when the 01800s (#3 Red Line 1993-94 Bombardier Cars) came to replace the 01400s rather than the 015/01600s (#1 Red Line 1969-70 Pullman-Standard Cars) even though the 015/01600s uphere have performed a bit worse than the 01400s.

But I guess downthere in NYCT-Land they go by wear and tear and not age. Besides, I like that approach that you folks have and not here in Boston.

#42554  by JayMan

Why keep a newer crappy running car and scrap an older but better running one?

#42564  by 7 Train

When the Redbirds were phased out, they went by both MDBF and age. The first were the oldest (R26 and 29) with the youngest and highest MDBF (R36) last.

#42570  by efin98

Robert Paniagua wrote:In this case they will probably not go by age. The R32's are in the best shape out of all the 60 foot cars. Watch for the R32's to be the last 60 foot cars to go.

Oh really? I though they go by age after all.

It's well known that they are going by condition, and the sets that are going first are in worse shape than those retiring later. The R32s have been running great, why retire them just because they are 40 years old? They don't have the troubles that the other cars have so why get rid of them? Besides, they will give you another decade with light maintnence easily. The R44s and R42s and even the R40s, doubtful.
Here in Boston, REGARDLESS of the MDFB or mechanical issues, the MBTA here gets rid of cars by age, for example the 01400s (#5 Cambridge-Dorchester 1963 Pullman-Standard Cars) were the first to go in 1994 when the 01800s (#3 Red Line 1993-94 Bombardier Cars) came to replace the 01400s rather than the 015/01600s (#1 Red Line 1969-70 Pullman-Standard Cars) even though the 015/01600s uphere have performed a bit worse than the 01400s.
I know you loved those cars but that is a bogus assessment. They were in terrible condition Rob. They got rid of them because they would have cost MORE to OVERHAUL them AGAIN than it cost to BUY new cars. The curren 1500 and 1600 are in much better condition now than the 1400s were when they were retired. You don't see the MBTA rushing to retire them now since they are FIVE YEARS OLDER than the 1400s were when they were retired, so there goes your argument.
But I guess downthere in NYCT-Land they go by wear and tear and not age. Besides, I like that approach that you folks have and not here in Boston.

There have been some cars retired early in New York, but only because they could not be renovated to fit new technology. Example: the 1940s and early 1950s IRT division cars, all of which were retired in their early to mid 30s.

#42589  by GP38

As much as I love the R40 slants, they are probably the first to go. They are in pretty sorry shape. Many of them are being held together by duct tape. The R42-R40M's roofs are also rusting away fast.
The R32's are the best of the group because they are all stainless steel. They are in the best condition both mechanically and physically.

#42613  by efin98

GP38 wrote:As much as I love the R40 slants, they are probably the first to go. They are in pretty sorry shape. Many of them are being held together by duct tape. The R42-R40M's roofs are also rusting away fast.
The R32's are the best of the group because they are all stainless steel. They are in the best condition both mechanically and physically.
You can tell the difference between them just by riding them. I am clueless as to the differences between the materials they used, but you can see and feel the difference inside. In fact the best ride I had while down in New York was on an R32, beat out the R40 on the N and R42s on the J and M I rode a few days before that.

#42743  by PacificCommand

Nah. The R36s only lasted as long as they did because of the singles. The MTA WAS planning a transfer of R33MLs to the 7, but since the R33WFs and R33MLs had problems working together, the R36WFs were kept to run with the R33WFs.

As the end neared, the R33MLs had higher MBDFs then the R36WFs.

#42772  by Robert Paniagua

I know you loved those cars but that is a bogus assessment. They were in terrible condition Rob. They got rid of them because they would have cost MORE to OVERHAUL them AGAIN than it cost to BUY new cars. The curren 1500 and 1600 are in much better condition now than the 1400s were when they were retired. You don't see the MBTA rushing to retire them now since they are FIVE YEARS OLDER than the 1400s were when they were retired, so there goes your argument.

Yeah well still my friend, but the reason our silverbirds are still here is because of the AC, which the 01400s didn't have.

Although the R32s didn't have AC but the R40's and up do POSESS them. So that's why the R32, as I though would go first, but I guess they don't, the R40 as mentioned by other folks here, will be retired first.

#42964  by 7 Train

Although the R32s didn't have AC but the R40's and up do POSESS them
The R32 does HAVE A/C. When there were rebuilt in 1987-90, they were rebuilt with A/C.