Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#32171  by 7 Train

The N also has R40M's as well. R68A's run on the N and Q as well. There is no more R40M on the J/Z or M-the last left about a year ago.

#32407  by Robert Paniagua

Hey Rob: you don't like riding up front inside the tunnels!!?? That's a surprise! It may not be as scenic as outdoors, but viewing the signals, especially watching them changing in the distance is great underground. But I guess NYC tunnels seem dark and depressing compared to Boston's good tunnel lighting. That's why our trains use headlights! Chuckle!

Well, I actually got to see out front while underground just the other day, off of a Metro-North train and an R32 trainset. Although I prefer seeing thru on aboveground portions, its sometimes cool to see through in tunnels especially when the train is going wicked fast

#33134  by JayMan

matt1168 wrote: 1. There are no R-42's left on the L... the only cars used on the L are the 143's.

2. The R-44's will be replaced before anything else.
Are the R-44's in that poor shape?

#33230  by matt1168

JayMan wrote:
matt1168 wrote: 1. There are no R-42's left on the L... the only cars used on the L are the 143's.

2. The R-44's will be replaced before anything else.
Are the R-44's in that poor shape?
The majority of them (some of the SIRT ones not included) are in pretty bad shape. It's a shame... they are my favorite cars...

#33273  by JayMan

I like the R-44s too. My favorite cars, I would say, are these, in this order:

R-62/R-62A (R-62's because they are made by Kawasaki -- R-62As because up until recently they all had corner cabs with the RFW -- I used to ride head end on the #1 and #3 all the time).
R-142A (Now who doesn't love the whine)
R-142 (haven't rode them much, can't commnt too much)
R-40M (cool sounds, RFW, interesting interior, no ugly front, love the trim)
R-68 (they seem rather generic -- but the acceleration and brake sounds are classics -- too bad no RFW)
R-44 (the glass on some of these cars door frames are a nice touch -- plus these cars are almost like commuter rail cars in design -- the state seal on the wallpaper is the same as the M1s/M3s)
R-46 (same as above, just not as cool)

The low scorers are the R-38s, the R-32s (which should go to the scrap heap -- only saving grace is the RFW) the R-40s (hideous) and the R-42s (which just aren't as cool as the R-40Ms).

I never been in the R-143s yet, so I can't comment on them yet. I can only wonder what the R-160s will be like.
Last edited by JayMan on Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#33278  by Skip-Stop

With general employee word from ST, it's been general agreement that the R44's are not likeable cars. The cab doors are small, the doors take too long to close and so many other things... :(

A pity St. Louis' last rolling stock is a rather bad one.

#33438  by 7 Train

The R32 should not be scrapped so soon. It is all-stainless, an excellent performer and still going strong. Young at heart even being almost 40 years old.
Last edited by 7 Train on Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#33486  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah that's right, and in fact, they shouldn't even be rolling an all-underground routes, such as the C, E, Q, R, G, V, B. These lines should have ALL Hawker-type or UTDC full width cab cars (R44, R46, R68 and R68A). The remainder of the lines should have all or mostly narrow corner cab Silverbirds or Bluebirds as I call them.

For example, the E should be robbed of its R32 and R38 and be given to the F or A or W.

Another example, the C should be converted to ALL Hawkers (R44 or R46 since R68 and R68A are not allowed to run on A, C or E routes), and also robbed ot its Blue/Silverbirds (R32 and 38, plus R40 and R42) to be given to the open-air A or Rockaway Park Shuttle.
Last edited by Robert Paniagua on Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #33498  by Head-end View

Actually Rob, the R-32's were originally called Brightliners when they came into service circa 1966. They were NYCTA's first non-painted stainless steel cars. :D

Aren't Bluebird and Silverbird the names of the Boston Red-Line cars from the late 60's, early 70's, the ones that came between the 1400's and 1800's?

#33512  by Robert Paniagua

Thats right, but based on old photos I looked at they had blue doors, and I gave them their unofficial name "Bluebird" for my own reference, while I call the R38 and R40, and R42 Silverbirds rather than Brightliners.

You can guess why..................I'm a BOSTONIAN!! :-D

Aren't Bluebird and Silverbird the names of the Boston Red-Line cars from the late 60's, early 70's, the ones that came between the 1400's and 1800's?

Yes, they are, Bluebirds were the 01400s (#5 Cambridge-Dorchester Cars) from Pullman-Standard/Canadian Vickers in 1963, while the Silverbirds were the 015/01600s built by Hawker Siddeley and Pullman-Standard.

I also called the R44 and R46 cars "Hawkers" even though they were not Hawker Siddeley products, but are nearly identical to the 0600s and 01200s here in Boston for the Blue/Orange Lines.

#33768  by 7 Train

Bluebirds were the original name of the R36/33 WF cars in 1964.

#33865  by JayMan

Robert Paniagua wrote:
Another example, the C should be converted to ALL Hawkers (R44 or R46 since R68 and R68A are not allowed to run on A, C or E routes.
Why can't the R-68s be used on the 8 Av routes?

Also, if we assume that R-160s will go to the Q route, then quite a few R-68s will be freed up for other lines (my guess will be the other Coney Island routes, such as the B, N, or W).

#33941  by Robert Paniagua

Don't know, to be honest with you, but in all the times I've ridden the NYCT starting in 1989, I've never, ever seen an R68 or R68A consist running on any of the blue color-coded lines (A C E old K or old H), only on the gold or orange color-coded lines.

#34063  by matt1168

Robert Paniagua wrote:Don't know, to be honest with you, but in all the times I've ridden the NYCT starting in 1989, I've never, ever seen an R68 or R68A consist running on any of the blue color-coded lines (A C E old K or old H), only on the gold or orange color-coded lines.
They run on the 8th Av. occasionaly for GO's, usually not past W. 4 though.