Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#410433  by Grump

One of the new cars was spotted poking out of the west end of the Harrison Shops. It's definitely a lot different from the older cars. It's more squared off, like a typical NYCTA car, and the silver, blue, and black livery is sharp…

#410460  by ascotell

That car should have been the mock up... i saw pictures when I was on the advisory commttee. It infact does look sharp. I will look closer when I go home tonight.

#410670  by Grump

Oh, I didn't realize that there was a full-size mockup. That could have been what it was…

#412183  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Any chance of getting a photo of the mockup or prototype? I'm curious to see how similar to the R-142's these cars are going to be. I know PANY/NJ is very uptight about photos but perhaps someone in that area of our Metro New York region would be able to contact the PA and be able to take some photos or get some publicity photos from the PA.

#464706  by PVRX1

Anyone have an idea on numbering? I was guesing 200-539, 900-1239, or 1000-1339 or ?

#489020  by Grump

I just found this on the Port Authority's website. I'm sure somewhere out in cyberspace there are better ones...

#489074  by ascotell

This picture has been up for a long time. I sat on the PATH advisory commitee last FEB\MARCH and they showed us picture of the mock up and it looked the same as that picture. That car itself will resemble the new R162 NYCT car. The only difference it will be shorter and not as wide. Hope this helps.

#489864  by NJT Rider

Will it still have the railfan window???

#489891  by Raritan Express

From the graphic that Grump posted, it looks like they're removing it and replacing it with the PATH logo.

#489907  by pgengler

I've heard the new cars will have a full-width cab, so no railfan window.

#490048  by ascotell

That is correct from the pictures of the moc up there is a full can and no rail fan window. The seats will have storage under them and there will be a closed circit NBC TV instide the cars :) They will be A and B units A powered by AC traction (Very quiet :)) and the B will be trailing. Hope this helps.

#490095  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

But still no photos of the mock-up, eh?

BTW, ascotel, you're saying the b unit will be trailers so therefore no power. That's too bad. Even if no controls, its always better to have motors in these units, ie the NYCTA R-142's, 143's and 160's. Look at the IRT Low V's, loved those cars but those trailers, ugh. AND they slowed down the trains tremendously.
Last edited by UpperHarlemLine4ever on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#490105  by ascotell

I have seen them but they have not been released to the public as far as I know.