Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#30256  by JLo

The past few days I've noticed a group inspectors examining the concrete viaduct in Newark at the end of the PATH line (they block the right lane on Rt 21 North). The inspectors, probably engineers, have been making a detailed examination of the structure. Anyone know if this relates to something more than just routine maintenance?

#30258  by Irish Chieftain

Might be the first "feelers" towards that EWR Station extension.

Wonder if they'll reopen the old South Street PRR station as part of it?

#30993  by arrow

I know they are actively looking into that EWR link right now, I'm not sure if the inspection has anything to do with it though. I'll post more when I find out more.

#36089  by JLo

Arrow, do you have any updates on this topic?

#38286  by arrow

Haven't found out anything more yet, but I'll keep you posted if I see anything about this. Doesn't appear to be a major project so who knows.

#41195  by Lackawanna484

It may be some preventive analysis before the Sharpe James Memorial Newark Arena gets going.

I'd suspect PATH will be required to build some kind of a boarding facility near the site, just south of the CNJ bridge, so a holding track or two south of that might be required.

We could start a rumor and say PATH was building a PARK-RIDE at the end of the new viaduct / McCarter highway. Lots of empty land there...

#41210  by Irish Chieftain

All the way down at South Street? That arena is literally miles away from the end of the PATH line.

#41582  by arrow

Oh boy, the arena. Talk about a complete waste of money. Instead of spending MY hard-earned money on that garbage, why don't they spend it on something that will benefit everyone? I don't see anything wrong with the current arena in the Meadowlands. Typical wasteful attitude.

#41586  by Irish Chieftain

That's corrupt politicians for you, sad to say. Their long-held dynasties in NJ will have to be ripped from them by a power greater than ours... :(

#42069  by F23A4

A Park/Ride in South Nwk. I'm pretty certain PATH riders coming off NJT/Amtrak trains might be a bit miffed about a semi-crowed/crowded PATH train rolling into Nwk during the morning rush hour.

Interesting proposition though.

#42272  by JLo

Oh boy, the arena. Talk about a complete waste of money. Instead of spending MY hard-earned money on that garbage, why don't they spend it on something that will benefit everyone? I don't see anything wrong with the current arena in the Meadowlands. Typical wasteful attitude.
Arrow, there is only one problem with your complaint--it ain't your hard-earned money. It is the people of Newark's. The PA has short-changed Newark for the last 20 years on rental payments for the airport. The money being used for the Arena comes from the settlement of the city's dispute with the PA and $210 million is specifically ear-marked for redevelopment projects in the city. The State of NJ is not ponying up a red cent. While you can fairly complain about the need for a new arena given the existing one in the Meadowlands, you are not paying for its replacement.

BTW, have you complained about the fact that the state has spent hundreds of millions propping up the Sports Complex, which lost money every year except last year?

#43367  by Lackawanna484

JLo wrote:
Arrow, there is only one problem with your complaint--it ain't your hard-earned money. It is the people of Newark's. The PA has short-changed Newark for the last 20 years on rental payments for the airport. The money being used for the Arena comes from the settlement of the city's dispute with the PA and $210 million is specifically ear-marked for redevelopment projects in the city. The State of NJ is not ponying up a red cent. While you can fairly complain about the need for a new arena given the existing one in the Meadowlands, you are not paying for its replacement.

BTW, have you complained about the fact that the state has spent hundreds of millions propping up the Sports Complex, which lost money every year except last year?
----------------------------------

A reasonable person could spend a few tens of millions of that settlement to build new schools (some date from the 1910s) in Newark. Or pay an incentive to get kids to read might be a better use of Newark's money than giving it to millionaire ball players and billionaire owners.

I'm in favor kicking the Giants, Jets, Nets, and Devils out of NJ. Who needs them? Make PATH free with the PA grant...

#43372  by Irish Chieftain

K, that's enough about the arena that may not even get off the ground. Anyhow, PATH won't be serving it directly.

The structure in question is at least a mile away from where that arena's supposed to be. Howzabout some facts, rumors, etc. about what they're doing there?