Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#397618  by cmakmilli

its been yrs since i was fascinated with being a t/o or a c/r....can anyone tell me the recent or newly updated requirements...im 19 in college and i want to kno how long will the process and everything take....

thanks alot

#397775  by cmakmilli

thanks alot........

#397777  by cmakmilli

...but i still need some more info..for example whats the test like...and after u pass and stuff what is the training and all the good stuff like.... is it true that some of the people who do pass dont actually accept the job....??

#397803  by Pelham

Ok the Exams for T/O and C/R have questions about point of interest in NYC and Reading comp. They also ask you about military time which is what we use is transit. Like " You are scheduled to report to Far Rockaway at 20:00HRS. What time is it?
After you pass the exam which you will know when the list comes out or check the Answer key 6 wks after the exam. If you score High you will be called in about 2 years (Min) after taken the Exam but most wait 4 years because they have to call all the promotionals first. Like that T/O Exam in 2003 which I took as a Promotional I was called in 2005. However the first one from O/C Exam just started training 2 WKS ago. When your called you go for a Medical and you do a drug test. After the Medical they can call you for training any where from 1 to 30 days. C/R's have 6WKS of training while T/O's have 3 Months to 6 Months pending which Div your in. The A Div Number lines are shorter and most location in the Bronx. B Div you get more time and locations are spead out in The Bronx,Manhattan,Brooklyn and Queens.
Conductors have to pass two practicals hands on and T/O's have to pass 4 Practicals. C/R's and T/O's must pass daily quizzes and exams. Train Operators MUST get 100% on the Signals Exam and you only got one shot or your out the doors. However they grill you on signals every day so it shouldn't be a problem.
It is true that people who pass don't exept the job. Lots of them walk out after being told after training they will have to work WKENDs,Holidays and must be able to work all tours MID,AM,PM. When you pass school car you are turned over to the Crew Assignment section can change your tours and days off weekly. When I started I was put on the Midnights since its the least popular tour to work. You will also be Extra Board alot meaning you don't have an assignment but you must report to the Extra Board location they give you and wait for someone to call in sick.
You are on the Extra Extra list until you can pick Regular Extra List or a steady assignment. C/R's spend about 6 Months to 1 YR Extra while T/O's spend 2 to 4 Years Extra List. The senority is slow for T/O's. sometime I wish I stayed a C/R I would have been picking WKENDS off. Oh Yeah is takes C/R's 5 years for some of the wkend and T/O's 10 years.

#397952  by cmakmilli

oh..thanks alot..just what i was looking for....i will be taking the next exam for t/o and c/r's....by that time i should be finishing up by associates.....thanks alot......my dream job to be a t/o is about to come.....

#432207  by nmazura

any info on last test 2085. i got 97 #830 and still have not received anything. Anyone here have an update. Thanks

#435517  by Pelham

Keep waiting they only called 2 classes since May. I don't know when the next class will start.