Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#395695  by grink

According to what I heard on my scanner this evening, this was at the South Street yard and it caused Amtrak/NJT to shutdown for a short time.
PATH train blaze battled at Newark rail yard
Posted by The Star-Ledger May 07, 2007 12:19AM
Categories: Transit

A fire late last night on a PATH train parked in a Newark rail yard prompted street and track closures while fire officials worked to put out the blaze.

The fire was reported around 11 p.m. after an employee smelled smoke and called it in, said Pasquale DiFulco, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the agency operating the train system.

One of the train's cars was engulfed in flames, and emergency personnel, including Port Authority Police and Newark fire authorities, continued to battle the fire early this morning.

Because the volume of train traffic is much lighter overnight, service hadn't been suspended and there were no reported delays, DiFulco said. He didn't know if the fire would affect the morning commute.

In the meantime one of the PATH tracks at Newark Penn Station was closed. It was unknown it would reopen, DiFulco said.

Contributed by Kasi Addison
Source

#395879  by harryguy082589

Any idea what caused it?

#396216  by Allan

harryguy082589 wrote:Any idea what caused it?
The cause is suspected to be electrical in origin.

#397579  by ascotell

We need new Cars....... I hope they are on time and are going to work well.

#397918  by harryguy082589

I plead stupidity here: The Newark Rail Yard is the area off that PATH cars pull into after dropping passengers off in Newark Penn, right?

#398527  by ascotell

Correct. This is along Route 21 in Newark, south of Penn Station.

#398745  by harryguy082589

The big blue PATH building is in Newark or Harrison?

#399458  by ascotell

This building is in Harrion very close to the kearney excahnge on the NEC.

IT is very close to the Learney boarder.

#408216  by ryanov

Anyone know which car "left the building" so to speak?