Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by rail10

Does the nyc subway has plans to construct any new irt or numbered lines in the future?

by arrow

Well if they follow along with the current scheme, I'm not sure why they would construct anything else to IRT standards when they could go with the wider cars.

by Otto Vondrak

The next line to be built will be the "T" which will be a BMT route, tied in with the Q.

New route designations can appear at will. Witness the "W" and "V" routes.

IRT designation "10" went away when the Third Ave El was taken down in the 1970s.

-otto-

by Paul1705

There were plans for more IRT mileage in the late 1960s, but those would have been extensions to existing routes: the Nostrand Avenue subway (the 2 and 5 trains) and the Utica Avenue subway (the 4 train).

by Frank

Otto Vondrak wrote:The next line to be built will be the "T" which will be a BMT route, tied in with the Q.

New route designations can appear at will. Witness the "W" and "V" routes.

IRT designation "10" went away when the Third Ave El was taken down in the 1970s.

-otto-
The 3rd Ave el used to be designated the "8" in its final years. The only subway line in NY that was designated the "10" was todays M train route. The BMT division used to have numbered routes before 1967.

by blockss

http://www.nycsubway.org/maps/historical.html

Here is a site that contains old maps. One thing I can't figure out is that sometime in the 80's there must have been a W train(not the one we have now). I have never been able to find a map for it, but know it existed because I remember playing with one of the signs(that had the knob to adjust) as a kid.