Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#370059  by jersey_emt

My girlfriend and I had a fun day on the NYC subway today.

We took NJ Transit from Rahway, NJ to PSNY.

From there, we took an A train all the way out to Far Rockaway. We had a R32 set so we had the railfan window all of the way there! It was a pretty long ride, compounded by the fact that today there were no C trains and A trains were making all local stops. What a great view!!

Because of the extra 11 stops we had to make, we were running a bit late. We grabbed a quick meal at the McDonald's right near the Far Rockaway stop, then headed back towards Manhattan on the A.

We knew it was going to be expensive, but my girlfriend had never been on the JFK AirTrain or LIRR before, so we switched at Howard Beach for the AirTrain, took that to Jamaica, and took LIRR back to Penn Station.

We made it back into Penn Station just in time to catch our NJ Transit train home (literally walked into the door as the "door close" alarm was going off!).

All in all, it was a fun day. It was the first time I have taken the A past Howard Beach (to go to the airport), and the first time she has taken the A out of Manhattan. The view was phenomenal after Howard Beach towards Far Rockaway, especially between Howard Beach and Broad Channel.

The trip on the A train to Far Rockaway is definitely recommended! And the fact that we had a good railfan window on the R32 set was an added bonus!

#370162  by pennsy

Hi,

Considering Far Rockaway was my home town and I had to commute to CCNY and work with the IND line, I am glad you enjoyed the ride. Jamaica Bay must have really impressed you as the train opened up on the straightaways and just sped by and over all that water. I am surprised that you did not make it to the beach and check out the waves, curls etc. I assume the McDonalds you went to was at the last stop in Far Rockaway, Mott Ave. From there, you could cross the street, walk about two or three blocks east and catch the LIRR at their Far Rockaway station. That would take you, via the five towns area, to Jamaica, and back to Penn Station.

How about some more comments and observations on the trip ? Haven't been back to the Rockaways in many years, and would appreciate the update.
 #371473  by Head-end View

Wow, sounds like you had a great day! You were lucky to get that R-32 with the front window. Must have been a real drag running local though. Ya' wish it would go a little faster over Jamaica Bay. I don't think it goes over 45 mph. And the Air Train is well worth the $5.00. Gazing out that huge front window as it "flies" along above the Van Wyck Expwy going faster than the traffic is an experience. And you're lucky to have a girlfriend who likes doing that stuff! :-D

#408858  by CNJGeep

Sorry to being this topic back from the dead, but....

I also recently made the same trip, but I took LIRR back to PSNY (And Got Lost in Far Rockaway in the process) and had an R32 (Which is the older silver cars that still have some graffitti, right?) and I agree, the entire time after we went above ground was INCREDIBLE! I actually got on the wrong train, because I though that only R44s were used on the A, but I got on the train to Lefferts, and imagine my surprise when a set of R32s comes in at the station I got off at to change for...definately something I would do again---just not in 90-degree weather and a suit, like this time...