Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#42861  by Chris R16

efin98 wrote:
N.Y. State Of Mind wrote:
GP38 wrote:Why can the Flushing line handle 56 foot cars? Is that because it was built to dual contract standards? Can the Steinway tubes handle the 56 feet?
The idea behind 56' cars is to eliminate single sets on the 7, because they currently run 11 50.5' cars, and 10 56' cars are of the same length.
I know this is probably going to be expensive, but what about another round of platform extentions to allow for the entire former IRT system to accomodate 10 56' cars per platform? You could probably staggar the extentions over a few year period starting with the lesser used lines and or stations first so you can get more done early with less impact. Heck, add longer platforms into the renovations of stations since most still have to be finished.
Incredibly expensive, given that the MTA just got done purchasing 1200+ 51' cars.

#42883  by Robert Paniagua

Back in 1976, there was a fantrip run with the R46 bicentenial train that ran from Essex St over the Bridge to Metropolitan Ave (of course they had to watch no opposing train was in those two spots).

Oh wow, they got to use a 75 footer down that line for once? That's good, but as you say, there can't be an oncoming train otherwise they wouldn't fit together, although technically, 75-feet cars could use that line on condition that no other train crosses paths with the 75-footer.

As for the J line, not only can opposing trains not pass each other, but the trains can't even make the curves at Cypress Hills and Crescent St. An R46 can't go further than East New York on the J, even if they watch the curves.

Oh Well, maybe they could be used on the M and L then on a trial run, but I guess they'll have to straighten the J line curves out, although the NYCT doesn't have the millions to do that retrofit.

#42893  by GP38

Oh wow, they got to use a 75 footer down that line for once? That's good, but as you say, there can't be an oncoming train otherwise they wouldn't fit together, although technically, 75-feet cars could use that line on condition that no other train crosses paths with the 75-footer.

It was all well and good for a fantrip, but they could never have to have that worry for regular service. With current safety restrictions, they'd probably never even allow a fantrip with that equipment on the JMZL lines again unfortunately. 1976 was probably the one and only time that the 75 foot cars would ever visit there. I have seen photos from this trip.

Oh Well, maybe they could be used on the M and L then on a trial run, but I guess they'll have to straighten the J line curves out, although the NYCT doesn't have the millions to do that retrofit.

Forgetting what I just said above, it "could" be done on the M however unlikely.
The L also has places where it would have to be retrofitted. The curves around Graham and Grand St can not handle the 75 foot cars.

#43895  by Adam E. Moreira

560 feet on the 7 line would require that platforms on the IRT mainline be lengthened an additional 50 feet, and this would be impossible at tight stations such as Fulton Street on the IRT West Side.