Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

What is your favorite currently operating subway car type?

R-143
14%
R-142
19%
R-68
8%
R-62
7%
R-46
4%
R-44
2%
R-42
4%
R-40
11%
R-38
7%
R-32
25%
 #209106  by BMT Standard

My handle tells you my choice.

#229406  by LIRRMEDFORD

I choose the R40 mainly the R40 Slant because unlike other cars that all have great acceleration braking and has an interor like another car the R40 Slant has the end slants which has yet to be duplicated as of today

#236394  by Mr. Harlem Line

I chose the R-143 because these cars look very clean and sharp.

#254041  by Love Train

The first subway train I ever rode was an R62A. Plus, I think the R62/A most represents the subway system as a whole. Whenever I think New York Subway, I think R62/A.

#261648  by AJ

My favorites are:
The R68/R68A
The R32
The R62/R62A
The R142/R142A
The R143

#306372  by Trackseventeen

Only been to NYC once and then only rode the "A" out to Far Rockaway. My favorite NYC subway car is the BRT/BMT Standard which is not on the poll. I also like Phillys Broad street cars (the 3 vintage) one since they were brills version of a standard.
 #330817  by series7000

arrow wrote:What is your favorite subway car (of the ones that are currently in operation)? I thought this would be an interesting poll, and I wanted to try out this new feature.

My favorite is the R32!!

Same here

#377622  by CHANGEATJAMAICA

I'm willing to take the slings and arrows of being "slightly" off topic; because my favorite subway car doesn't currently operate and hasn't for quite a long time. It is what I believe is called the "BMT Standard".

It was my gateway to Manhattan and Staten Island from my home in Jamaica, Queens when I was twelve years old. For a nickle I could ride through Queens, Brooklyn, and over the Williamsburg bridge to Broad Street in lower Manhattan. From that point I would viisit the museum in the subtreasury building across from the NYSE; the NYSE museum and then walk down to Battery Park, where I could take a ferry to Staten Island from there I could take a bus to the zoo and visit its well stocked reptile section.

For a preteen, that "BMT Standard" car was like a magic carpet, and I could spend the whole day traveling and come back home for less than a quarter!

Again apologies for being "slightly" off topic, but when I saw favorite as the topic heading I immediately thought of the "BMT Standard".
Best regards,
Rodger
 #379358  by Head-end View

CAJ; I can appreciate your sentiments about the "Standards". I feel the same way about the R-40 Slants.

Mr.Harlem Line, you like the R-143's, 'cause they're so clean and sharp. Well, if you'd been a teenager in the 1960's, you would have felt that way about the R-40 Slants when they first came into service in 1968. Remember, up to then the newest cars in the system were the conventional shaped R-38's! Back then the 40's were like the space-shuttle flying into your station platform. (chuckle!) :wink:

#481733  by Trainmaster5

As a child in Brooklyn in the '50s I rode the Fulton St, Myrtle Ave and the Canarsie and Franklin Ave BMT lines and the IND Fulton St "A" lines the most. As a teenager my first real after school job was at Alexander's on 58th and Lex in Manhattan. I fell in love with the Brightliners on the "Q" Brighton Express. They looked snazzier than anything else the TA had on the rails. When I became a conductor and then a motorman in the IRT in the early '80's we had nothing to compare UNTIL the 62/62A cars hit the rails. Then it was a real contest. Now that I operate 142's ,(no 142A), I have ridden or operated everything from BMT els, Standards, Triplexes, and all of the cars on the poll. My favorite from the poll is the Brightliner.As a motorman on the IRT my favorite car to operate was the R33 cars # 8806 thru 9075. These cars were overhauled in the mid '80's and were better than the 142's are. So I say R32, R33 and R62A.

#487749  by jtrain22

my favorite is the R68 because it has great mdbf and a very smooth ride.

#488207  by Love Train

I like the Kawasaki R142A the best.

#502990  by error46146

My favorite is the R32 because it is nice, fast, and has the wonderful railfan window :-D

i also like the R40 Slant and R62A as well

#506870  by Fred G

I have a special fondness for the R40 slant because they were the first new subway cars that I remember vividly. That slant front and that huge route bullet was out of this world when I was 10.

Here's a photo of an R40 from 1968 from subway.org

Anyway, the R40 is special to me but I love the R32 and R62 as well.

#508523  by nikon01

As a relatively new subway rider, my favorites are the R-142A and the R-143. I prefer the way that the R-143 looks, however I love the sound of the Bombardier traction motors that are on both units. Definitely IMO the best sounding units.