Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

What is your favorite currently operating subway car type?

R-143
14%
R-142
19%
R-68
8%
R-62
7%
R-46
4%
R-44
2%
R-42
4%
R-40
11%
R-38
7%
R-32
25%
 #1127  by arrow

What is your favorite subway car (of the ones that are currently in operation)? I thought this would be an interesting poll, and I wanted to try out this new feature.

My favorite is the R32!!

#1148  by Skip-Stop

I chose the R62, 62A to be exact as the dominating force on the 7 right now.

#1267  by M1 9147

The 68 because of the nice bright interior finish, and overall length inside

#1661  by Robert Paniagua

I like the R44SI (Staten Island Railway version), mfg 1974, and I also like the R46 (mfg1978). these are my favourite coaches of the NYCT.

#1890  by Head-end View

Hi Rob: My all-time favorite is the original R-40 with the slanted ends. It was considered a bad design by NYCTA, but I thought they were great. The original version had a very large front door window, ideal for railfanning. They have sentimental value for me 'cause in 1968, they were the very first modern replacements of the old R-1 thru R-9 type cars of the 1930's on the E and F lines.

I like the R-68/68A too, though they are hard to see out of thru the wide cab. The bright interior is a little like a hall of mirrors. I sometimes think of them as "new BMT Standards". The older folk in these threads will know what I mean!

#3481  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, that's what you said back in the last forum, Ian. I also like the Bluebirds (R32), 1963-64 Pullman-Standard & Budd. I also liked the 1963 Pullman-Standard R36 IRT coaches by St. Louis for the 7 route, as I got to videotape out the front of the cars, and I also videoed the interiours, which reminded me of the MBTA 01400s.

#3853  by arrow

Seems that right now the R32 is in the lead. I wonder if it actually people's favorites, or if everyone likes it because it is the oldest cars still used.

I like the R32s because of their exteriors. I like that Budd corrugated look. The interiors are, of course, nothing to write home about, but this is a subway after all. You can really feel how powerful their motors are when the train starts to accelerate. You just don't get that feeling with the newer cars. It just goes to show that the older equipment really does last long. I doubt the new stuff can last 40 years!

#3937  by Skip-Stop

Robert Paniagua wrote:Yeah, that's what you said back in the last forum, Ian. I also like the Bluebirds (R32)
I think you're confused. The R32's never were referred to as 'Bluebirds.' It was an experimental BMT rolling stock if you were thinking along those lines.

#4208  by arrow

The R32s were however referred to as "Brightliners" when they first came out.

#4641  by BMT

The R-38's are my favorites (slant 40s a close second). They're stainless steel, but have that classic 'NYC look' (probably because of the 'Redbird' body-styling). I also like their more streamlined appearance over the 32's because the 38 corrugation only went halfway up the sides. To me the 32's over did the corrugated effect where they look like tool sheds on wheels. The 38's also had a neat bonnett trim around the end destination signs that was distinctive.

#4672  by arrow

BMT, that's the exact opposite of my thinking. The reason I don't find the R38s as attractive is that the corrugation does not go all the way to the top.

#9422  by R142A

Robert Paniagua wrote:I like the R44SI (Staten Island Railway version), mfg 1974, and I also like the R46 (mfg1978). these are my favourite coaches of the NYCT.
R44SI? Those are horrible! They got rid of the glass panels, there's more scratchitti than most Subway trains, and plus, they're modified to FRA regulations.

Anyway, my fave is the R143 simply because I don't like the IRT specifications. Otherwise it would be the R142A (R142 Bombardier = garbage! - way too loud!)

#10651  by Robert Paniagua

I know, but they have a wide interiour, and some even have a glass or plastic glass-like window. I also liked the R10, even though its been off-line since 1991.

#11146  by R142A

Robert Paniagua wrote:I know, but they have a wide interiour, and some even have a glass or plastic glass-like window. I also liked the R10, even though its been off-line since 1991.
1991? Way before that!

#11876  by efin98

BMT wrote:The R-38's are my favorites (slant 40s a close second). They're stainless steel, but have that classic 'NYC look' (probably because of the 'Redbird' body-styling). I also like their more streamlined appearance over the 32's because the 38 corrugation only went halfway up the sides. To me the 32's over did the corrugated effect where they look like tool sheds on wheels. The 38's also had a neat bonnett trim around the end destination signs that was distinctive.
After rethinking my vote I agree with you, stylish but not overdone. I think the corrugation makes it stand out yet can take away from the appearence of the car, the R38's half corrugated design compensates for that though.