Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#282588  by Dylanchris73

Is it me, or does it seem that the G and L lines are ALWAYS under some sort of construction?

#282628  by burkeman

I dont know for sure but you have to keep in mind that the L line has new cars and more to come and also from what i hear the G is slated to get some too.

#282634  by TimK

One thing about the Canarsie line is that they are installing and testing CBTC on it. This is one reason why it's frequently shut down on the weekends.

I don't know anything about the G, though.

Best,
Tim
 #282654  by Love Train

Dylanchris73 wrote:Is it me, or does it seem that the G and L lines are ALWAYS under some sort of construction?
You are right, but so are the other lines, too! Surely you've noticed the lack of express service on both the West and East Side IRT lines on the weekends? Surely you've noticed that the 4 line has not been going to Brooklyn on the weekends for quite a while? Not to mention the closure of the South Ferry station and loops, forcing the 1 to terminate at 14th St?

There's been work on every line every week and that will continue for quite some time. The New York Subway is over 100 years old and is starting to age in many ways, shapes, and forms, and its time the system receives a long-awaited and well-deserved fixing-up.

#282803  by Bay Head Local

The (G)'s "construction" that takes place in Queens I personally believe is the MTA's way of slowly trying to permenently remove the (G) off of Queens Blvd for good,when the (V) was 1st introduced it was said that the (G) was goin to be cut-back to Court Square permenently,but after a number of complaints it was agreed to run the line along Queens BL on weekend and nights,but there is always...i mean ALWAYS some type of G.O preventing that from happening,which makes me wonder.

#282806  by Mr. Harlem Line

Yeah I agree, it's been a while since I saw the G along Queens Blvd.

#282890  by TimK

That's interesting. What do the MTA's "construction" notices for the G claim that they're doing (i.e., what kind of construction)?

#283092  by Mr. Harlem Line

They don't really say much, except for stuff like track work...
 #283153  by GeorgeF

Love Train wrote:Surely you've noticed the lack of express service on both the West and East Side IRT lines on the weekends? Surely you've noticed that the 4 line has not been going to Brooklyn on the weekends for quite a while? Not to mention the closure of the South Ferry station and loops, forcing the 1 to terminate at 14th St?
Yep, and that's so until 2007 (South Ferry) or 2008 (Fulton Street)... at least! See MTA info for South Ferry here, and Fulton Street here. Actually, I think the Fulton Street project has slipped to 2009.
 #283241  by Love Train

GeorgeF wrote:
Love Train wrote:Surely you've noticed the lack of express service on both the West and East Side IRT lines on the weekends? Surely you've noticed that the 4 line has not been going to Brooklyn on the weekends for quite a while? Not to mention the closure of the South Ferry station and loops, forcing the 1 to terminate at 14th St?
Yep, and that's so until 2007 (South Ferry) or 2008 (Fulton Street)... at least! See MTA info for South Ferry here, and Fulton Street here. Actually, I think the Fulton Street project has slipped to 2009.
This whole thing pisses me off, because it is these lines that I often have to ride when I visit New York. I like express trains.

What's worse is when the 2 runs on the 5 and the 5 runs on the 2. That gets so confusing!