Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#273349  by Bay Head Local

Wasn't there a board at the OLD WTC station above the escalators on the concourse,that displayed the different path service's (Journal Square,Hoboken,Newark),I also remeber it having something that said Express,does anyone else remember this board?The reason im asking this is because I was wondering did PATH ever have a plan to institue some type of express service?
 #273354  by Terry Kennedy

Bay Head Local wrote:Wasn't there a board at the OLD WTC station above the escalators on the concourse,that displayed the different path service's (Journal Square,Hoboken,Newark),I also remeber it having something that said Express,does anyone else remember this board?The reason im asking this is because I was wondering did PATH ever have a plan to institue some type of express service?
Yes - that board could display the status of the various services (running / not running). It was tied into the illuminated maps that were above the platforms as well. The system that controlled these was rather primitive and failed frequently, so the signs were normally stuck at whatever settings they had last been configured to.

There was a simpler system at Pavonia/Newport which would illuminate arrows to point to which track a service was running on.

PATH experimented with a NWK/WTC express service, but with the short rush-hour headways and the large number of intermediate stations, the express would wind up sitting behind locals at the stations (except Journal Square, where it could use track 0).

Of course, if neither the Holland Tunnel nor the crash of 1929 had happened (or happened later), the H&M would have proceeded with expanding the whole system to 4 tracks and we would have had express and local services...

#273378  by orangeline

I have a PATH Map Guide effective Oct 26, 1980, and there was nonstop service (the ultimate express!) between HOB and WTC during AM and PM rush hours. This applied to every second train, with the others stopping at Exchange Place and Pavonia Avenue.
  • HOB -> WTC nonstop between 8:05 and 8:35 AM and 4:47 and 5:44 PM
    WTC -> HOB nonstop between 8:11 and 8:44 AM and 4:38 and 5:38 PM
During rush hours, HOB - WTC - HOB trains ran on 3 to 6 minute headways.

#273765  by Bay Head Local

Does anyone have any pictures of this board?

Also, these express services were instituted for those who were transferring from NJ Transit trains at Newark and Hoboken, correct?

#274237  by arrow

I do remember that board, and I do have a picture of it, actually. I'll have to try to dig it up tomorrow and post it here.

I found this picture on the internet a while ago. I know I have one that shows the board clearly though, so I'll have to look for it.

#274490  by Jersey Jeff

orangeline wrote:I have a PATH Map Guide effective Oct 26, 1980, and there was nonstop service (the ultimate express!) between HOB and WTC during AM and PM rush hours. This applied to every second train, with the others stopping at Exchange Place and Pavonia Avenue.
While I was a wee child in 1980, I would bet that Pavonia-Newport and Exchange Place were seeing far less passengers than today. In fact, the present Lefrak/Hartz version of Newport probably wasn't even on the drawing board in 1980.

#274614  by orangeline

Jersey Jeff,

Back in 1980, it was strictly Pavonia Ave, no Newport. As I recall, the station had once served the Erie Railroad terminal and had stylized "E" medallions on the support columns. Pavonia Ave was such a nowhere then that the station was closed M-F between midnight and 5:00 AM (as was Christopher St in NYC) and all day Sat, Sun and major holidays! It's amazing how much that area has changed!

#279019  by Terrapin Station

Jersey Jeff wrote:
orangeline wrote:I have a PATH Map Guide effective Oct 26, 1980, and there was nonstop service (the ultimate express!) between HOB and WTC during AM and PM rush hours. This applied to every second train, with the others stopping at Exchange Place and Pavonia Avenue.
While I was a wee child in 1980, I would bet that Pavonia-Newport and Exchange Place were seeing far less passengers than today. In fact, the present Lefrak/Hartz version of Newport probably wasn't even on the drawing board in 1980.
Newport 1986

#286961  by Idiot Railfan

orangeline wrote:Jersey Jeff,

Back in 1980, it was strictly Pavonia Ave, no Newport. As I recall, the station had once served the Erie Railroad terminal and had stylized "E" medallions on the support columns. Pavonia Ave was such a nowhere then that the station was closed M-F between midnight and 5:00 AM (as was Christopher St in NYC) and all day Sat, Sun and major holidays! It's amazing how much that area has changed!
Pavonia in the late 70s and early 80s was a bizarre place. When you came out of the doors of the station, through little more than a sheet-metal shed, it was like walking into a nuclear wasteland. I have some old photos I have to dig up and scan.
 #420796  by Bay Head Local

Terry Kennedy wrote:
Bay Head Local wrote:Wasn't there a board at the OLD WTC station above the escalators on the concourse,that displayed the different path service's (Journal Square,Hoboken,Newark),I also remeber it having something that said Express,does anyone else remember this board?The reason im asking this is because I was wondering did PATH ever have a plan to institue some type of express service?

PATH experimented with a NWK/WTC express service, but with the short rush-hour headways and the large number of intermediate stations, the express would wind up sitting behind locals at the stations (except Journal Square, where it could use track 0).
Whats weird is that this morning at JSQ their was an extremely crowded WTC train sitting on track 1 while another WTC train(With ppl on it) went by on track 0 with out stopping

Do some trains skip JSQ or other stations from time to time when there are short headways?

#421028  by umtrr-author

An amazing photo of Newport circa 1986... thanks for sharing.

It would have looked different 20 years before that, although the "nuclear wasteland" might be a little harsh, it was certainly a ghost town.

I am a Jersey City native and my dad would occassionally take me to the Erie's Pavonia Yard, site of the former passenger station. In 1966 there was some freight car storage behind worn out fences and the remains of the passenger terminal.

Those "E"s were in fact reference to the Erie RR Station above...

#421293  by uhaul

A quick and probably silly question for arrow.
Is this picture location now gone because of 9/11/01?

#421473  by Bay Head Local

yes
 #422690  by Bay Head Local

Whats weird is that this morning at JSQ their was an extremely crowded WTC train sitting on track 1 while another WTC train(With ppl on it) went by on track 0 with out stopping

Do some trains skip JSQ or other stations from time to time when there are short headways?
Does anyone know the answer to my question?

Does service occasionally run express or bypass JSQ station during rush hours or when service is backed up?

#422895  by arrow

uhaul,

While what you see in the picture is gone now, you still walk in the same exact area now when you get to the top of the escalators in the temporary PATH station.

The escalators are in the same location they always were.

It's a great picture that you can stare at for awhile and reflect on.