Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#300021  by Robert Paniagua

champdemars wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:Also, as you said in the first paragraph, MBTA in Boston also closes at 12:30AM for maintenance. But here in NYC, it's great to have the NYCTA run 24 Hours.
But in New York, how do they manage to clean up tracks? Do they close some parts of the lines? I know that some lines have 4-tracks, that may help too.
Yeah, they do service divertions there, some lines (least patronized) are actually closed while others are open, it's a huge subway system in New York and they, as you said, also have four tracks in many lines for trains to use.
 #300404  by Head-end View

NYC does not clean its subways especially well. While standing on the platform at West 4th St, Manhattan yesterday, I was amazed at the amount of diverse garbage lying between the running rails. :(

BTW Rob (sorry off topic), I was there once again trying to catch an old model F-train, and again no luck. I waited thru 4 trains before giving up and riding a different line for the day. :(

BTW, West 4th is a great station, I believe the busiest in the system. At the head-end of the Downtown (6th Ave) B-D/F-V platform is a manned signal tower. You can gaze thru the window at the operators and their 1930's era interlocking machine with the big levers, and the lighted model board above it. I tried not to be too obvious though; wouldn't want to be mistaken for a terrorist ! :wink: