Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#273088  by rail10

why does the nyc subway can run 24 hours unlike most other subway systems?

#273128  by jlr3266

New York City....it ain't Kansas. Seriously, I have stumbled home on a 4:30 AM Lexington Ave train with standing room only. About 3/4 Saturday morning workers, and 1/4 drunks, I mean revelers.
 #274973  by Head-end View

Rail10, you gotta understand that New York is New York. No other city in the country really compares to it. It is the biggest and it is a 24-hour city. :wink:

#277583  by CHIP72

I have to be honest - when I saw this question, I chuckled and said "WTF?" to myself. As Head-end View said (and would know much better than me), New York is New York. Even though I've only been in NYC on day trips, the amount of passenger volume on the subways then, plus all the attractions the city has, PLUS the fact a fairly high percentage of people rely on the subways for all or almost all of their travel, makes it a no-brainer that NYC would have 24 hour service on the subways. NYC isn't called "the city that never sleeps" for nothing.

After having said the above, I actually have a related question for the NYC natives. Are there any lines where it WOULD make sense to NOT have 24 hour rail service (and perhaps replace with buses overnight)? I'm guessing the G Train would be the best candidate if there is a candidate.
Last edited by CHIP72 on Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#277670  by L'mont

There are some lines that are shut at night, but other lines that are still running can be used as alternates to those routes. Also, trains are severely reduced in frequency outside of the AM and PM rush. I've waited over 30 miniutes for an L train on the weekend nights before.
 #277896  by Head-end View

As L'mont said there is reduced service during the late-night hours and weekends. Some trains actually run different routes during those times. It is very confusing to follow, even for those of us who've lived in the NY metro area our whole lives. A good example would be the Astoria (former BMT) line which has 2 routes operating during weekdays but only 1 route (and therefore only half as frequent service) on weekends. For complete info look at the NYC subway map on the MTA website or pick one up at a token booth when you ride. (They don't always have them) You'll see, it's mind boggling! :wink:
Last edited by Head-end View on Mon May 28, 2007 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

#281087  by Ike

Yeah, the late night service can be deeply strange. The MTA should really publish a special late-night map. It could reflect all the weirdness that happens late at night, such as the N travelling via lower Manhattan on the R/W tracks instead of going over the Manhattan Bridge (that's not even HINTED at on the regular map), and the 4 running all the way out to New Lots Ave. instead of the 3, etc. etc. etc.

Do the D and Q trains actually run express in Manhattan late at night? The F in Queens? The map says they do, but for some reason I'm doubtful!
 #281488  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

Actually I dont know about the Q, but I do know for a Fact the F as in Fox does run express all times. I have returned on Amtrak into NY penn station once, and the Railroad didnt run till 4am, meaning the LIRR. I had to get to Parsons Archer to catch my bus, because then I didnt drive yet. It was 330am, and I did catch a E making all local stops to parsons archer. Believe it or not, I did arrive 71-Continental at 415am, and see a R46 signed for the F arrive into continental on the Express track!!!

ONLY WAY TRAINS MAKE ALL STOPS IS DUE TO EXTENSIVE TRACKWORK, SOMETHING LIKE SKELETONIZED TRACK, which requires a 10MPH speed restriction. If it were longer than 2-3 stations, ALL STOPS can be ordered to Train Crews, even then they make one go express on local tracks as provided by the rules. Thing about NYCT, they require Motormen to enter stations at full speed, sounding the horn upon arriving into the station and leaving. IN NO EVENT MUST SPEED EXCEED 15 MILES AN HOUR. In Metro North, if you are not scheduled to stop at a station, for example Mamaroneck, all one has to do is sound horn LONG LONG SHORT LONG, and pass station at MAS(MAXIMUM AUTHORIZED SPEED).

I WILL BE RIDING THE F LINE TONIGHT, AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW BECAUSE I GET ON THE F AROUND 12AM TO ARRIVE BACK AT 179TH ST WHERE MY TRUCK IS PARKED. I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF ANYTHING IS LOCAL.
 #282441  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

by the way. I dd ride that F train the other night. I boarded a Queens Bound F express at 42nd street Bryant Park at 12:10am. I can confirm the Train went express because the train arrived 179th street 12:43am! Motorman did excellent, and didnt encounter any trackwork either.

#282537  by Robert Paniagua

IN NO EVENT MUST SPEED EXCEED 15 MILES AN HOUR.

Well uphere in Boston's Red Line, there's no 15 code, our trains would have to do 25mph.

However, I'm glad that NYCTA does run 24-7 unlike here which service ends at 12:30 AM or at WMATA which service ends at 12:30 AM SU-THU and 2AM on FR& SA. Especially that a lot of people work in New York City during split shifts from 10PM-6AM or 3AM-11AM and they sure could use the subway.

#282555  by TimK

From 1993 to 1997, the subway in Stockholm ran all night on Friday and Saturday nights. Service ended around 1 a.m. other nights. The reason given was that the subway was unsafe at night (sort of true) and that bus service would be safer (NOT TRUE AT ALL), and that there were too many unauthorized people getting onto the tracks in the late-night hours (also sort of true; it was relatively common for drunk men to descend onto the tracks to urinate, and there were a couple of deaths that occurred in this way).

In June of 2000, weekend late-night service was partly restored. Service on weekend nights now ends at around 3:30 a.m. (and starts up again at around 6 a.m. Saturday and Sunday mornings, a relatively short period of no service, anyway).

Some of the conditions mentioned in New York apply to Stockholm as well, particularly the one about large numbers of people lacking cars and being dependent on the subway.

(I used to live in Stockholm, and I worked on both a light rail line and the subway during my time there.)

Best,
Tim

#299568  by champdemars

I think the main reason for subways to close during night (at least for Montreal and Toronto) is simply because they need this window to clean up and do maintenances.

For example, in Montreal, the special vaccuum-train is running only at 4miles/hour... cleaning up nearly 40 miles of tracks is very long!

In NYC, if the service is open 24 hours, how do they manage to do the maintenance?

#299605  by Robert Paniagua

champdemars wrote:I think the main reason for subways to close during night (at least for Montreal and Toronto) is simply because they need this window to clean up and do maintenances.

For example, in Montreal, the special vaccuum-train is running only at 4miles/hour... cleaning up nearly 40 miles of tracks is very long!

In NYC, if the service is open 24 hours, how do they manage to do the maintenance?
Yeah, I've been to your city in Montreal, and it's a REALLY nice and clean subway system. But the trains slow down and stop at normal speeds (25 mph) and when riding the trains, they go as fast as 45 MPH

Also, as you said in the first paragraph, MBTA in Boston also closes at 12:30AM for maintenance. But here in NYC, it's great to have the NYCTA run 24 Hours.

#299885  by champdemars

Robert Paniagua wrote:Also, as you said in the first paragraph, MBTA in Boston also closes at 12:30AM for maintenance. But here in NYC, it's great to have the NYCTA run 24 Hours.
But in New York, how do they manage to clean up tracks? Do they close some parts of the lines? I know that some lines have 4-tracks, that may help too.

#299932  by thedarkliberator

Yes, the D, F, and the Q all run regular route all day and night long...