Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#264084  by rail10

In the nyc subway where is the dead man's switch is located for controlling the train by the motorman?

#264183  by StevieC48

On the new equipment the motorman has to rotate the controler handle to keep the train from emergency. 142,42a,43 & 160. Its also simular to Bostons Type 8's and the 1800's.
 #282436  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

I dont know if the subway ever has but in Metro North our diesel equipment on the Remote Cabcar always uses a footpedal deadman because some runs can be 2 hours long. 918 leaves Wassaic at 6:03 arriving GCT at 8:03. Anyways u can always tell where the deadman switch is on NYCT equipment, by whatever the Motorman/Train Operator has his/her hand on when train is in motion. The full service brake application is the only way to prevent a emergency brake application when u want to stand still and relax your hands or feet. Same in MNRR.

#282472  by JFB

The controller itself was the dead-man on R40s (46s?) and under. An armature that sprung upward, it had to be kept in the "down" position to keep the train running.

I'm pretty sure that releasing the controller put the train into emergency, rather than just cutting power to the motors, but I could be wrong on that.