Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#262648  by y0imjay

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and the brooklyn area so bear with me...

Myself and my roommates are looking for new apt/loft along both the L train the G train, and the JMZ line. It seems ... along the first 5 stops of L train, it takes about 20 min to union sq, which is good.
As for G train, the commute seemed a lot longer as the transfer seem to takes a lot longer.
How long would you say to get to wall st or midtown financial district from Bedford/Stuy area?
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

#262780  by Love Train

Hi there!

So, you're movin' to Brooklyn. Well, if you really care about a short, easy commute to Lower Manhattan, try to get a place near the J/M/Z line. The reason is it is the line that takes you directly into Lower Manhattan. NOTE the fact that the J/Z bypasses the Flushing Av, Lorimer St, and Hewes St stations in the peak direction on weekdays, so you must use the M train. Don't forget that if and when you are waiting for your train home to get an M train instead of a J or Z if your place is near one of those three stations.

Also note that the M only serves Chambers St and no further during MIDDAYS. To go south from there i.e. Wall/Broad St you must switch to a J or Z train. During rush hours, you don't have to do this, as the M makes all stops to Brooklyn during this time.

On weekends, there is no M service to Manhattan, and the J train makes all stops. Note: the J only goes to Chambers St during this time. To go further, switch to the 4 or 5 train at Chambers St.

If you must take the G, you can take it to Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts and switch to the A or C trains, which will take you to Fulton St in Lower Manhattan, where you can transfer to numerous subway lines.

The L train is clean, cool, and has new high-tech cars, but it can be risky as if and when there are delays the whole line gets totally f**ked up. The L runs along 14th St in Manhattan, where you can transfer to just about any other subway line at one of the stations.

Good luck! :-D
 #262785  by Love Train

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH: Whenever you plan to ride the subway anywhere at any time, never, ever do it before you check the MTA Website for service alerts and scheduled service advisories.

FOR EXAMPLE, if you had to go to your office on Wall St this weekend because you were behind in your work or something like that, and you took the J to Chambers St and switched to the 4 or 5 like you normally would on a weekend, you would be stuck and confused. The reason: There is no 4 or 5 service south of Brooklyn Bridge this weekend. You would have to use the special J shuttle train that runs between Essex St and Prospect Park in Brooklyn. You would transfer to this shuttle train at Chambers St.

There are so many commuters and tourists who get stuck on the subway because their 2 train ends up at Grand Central or their A train ends up on 6th Avenue or something of that sort, and they have no clue where they are because they haven't looked at the service advisory for that day and wouldn't know that the uptown 2 trains were running on the 5 line or that the downtown A trains were running on the 6th Avenue line.

#262871  by Bay Head Local

Well if your going to take the G,

Get used to running down the platforms for 4-car Trains, and also get used to
Trains running in two sections:
1. Between Court Sq and Bedford-Nostrand Avs
2. Between Bedford-Nostrand Avs and Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts

And if you want to get to Queens directly on the G forget about it, yes I know the map show that the G goes to Queens(Forest Hills) on weekends but its constantly....wait let me rephrase that ...ALWAYS, being cut back to Court Square on weekends/nights....ALWAYS...due to "track work".

It would be better if you live along the J/M/Z lines, you'll have direct access to the financial district on weekdays, and you can get directly to midtown with one transfer to the F train at Essex St station

The L isn't too bad also, to get the Financial district you would have to transfer to either the R,W,4,5,6 trains at Union Square and to get to Midtown you have to transfer to either the 1,2,3,F at 6Ave or the A,C,E at 8 Ave depending on where you want to go.

On weekends service changes may resemble a bowl of Alphabet Soup,Almost all lines have some type of re-routing on weekends and sometimes things get re-routed unannounced, the best I can tell you with that is to constanly go to the MTA website to check for construction and service alerts.