Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#269731  by pennsy

Hi Chuchubob,

Those are it. Those are the subway cars that got me to and from school. Didn't know that they ventured into Brighton Beach. I got them on the New Lots line, at the Sutter Ave. station. Only took it to Utica Ave and switched to the Lexington Ave express and I was in Manhattan in short order. How many driven axles did they have, and I believe they also used trailers, un-powered units. For all the noise and swaying they made, they made you feel as though you were flying. But I'll bet they never hit 50 mph. They didn't do too well in snow and ice.
 #269757  by Head-end View

I remember riding one of the last of the Lo-V trains when I was a kid circa 1962 at the front window of a Lexington express in Manhattan. It got up to a pretty fast clip on the long stretch from 86th to 125th Sts. Even my Dad commented on that ride that IRT expresses ran faster than IND or BMT did. :wink:
 #269927  by F40

Head-end View wrote:Timers? I thought this was an express run from 59th to 125th St. "Station Timers" are used approaching station stops and interlockings, and "Grade Timers" are used on downgrades in various locations. So why would there be timers on the long straight express run along CPW?
You are right. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

From David Pirmann, webmaster of nycsubway.org:

The system is slower overall. Safety, presumably. The other factor is
that the closed windows and welded rail make the sound of speed less
noticable.

I am now going to forget all that I've ever "learned" from SubChat. It only takes one who starts a bandwagon of kids to expound on things they know nothing about.

Sorry for my recent rants against the forum. This will be it for me.