Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#262008  by AJ

On June 20, 1986, the first R68 Subway Car trainset went into service. Happy 20 years 20 the 68s. Post any thing that you love about the 68s

#262029  by pennsy

Hi Brooklyn,

Interesting to note that you are that fond of Subway cars, specifically NYC subway cars. So tell me, what is the designation of the old style black subway cars, IRT, that were used in the late forties and early fifties ? These cars had light bulbs that were exposed, had left handed threads to insert them for replacing and therefore could not be stolen for use in your home. These cars even had dummies with no traction motors, trailers. They usually were put right behind the lead car, which housed the motorman and the train controls. The conductor had to go between the cars and stand on platforms on the two cars to operate the doors. So in bad weather he got wet or cold or whatever, unless he was underground.

#262108  by Robert Paniagua

I like those coaches too. Even sometimes, the railfan cab door window is sometimes open with and without filtered material, so I even get to see through the front sometimes.

Also, I think the R68s replaced the R16's, am I correct on that?

#262184  by AJ

Yes. It was because the R16 sucked in quality since its 1955 introductory. The R68 Subway Car is more reliable than the R16
 #262355  by Head-end View

I often think of the R-68's as "the new BMT Standards". They are very long cars and generally successful like the "Standards" And they run on many of the same lines. I like the somewhat unique vertical arrangement of the headlights and marker lights. I remember when they used to run some of them with the corner-cab leading. If only they didn't have the dark cab-door window................... :(

#262635  by AJ

Anyone wants to post something that you love about the R68?

#262790  by Love Train

Here's something I love about the R68:

You go railfanning, and you want to go real fast. You board a Queens bound N train at Times Square and you go through the 60th St tunnel. You're on a train of R40 Slants and you are FLYING! :-D

Then, you decide to do it again tomorrow, and you board an N train of R68s. You go through the 60th St tunnel and you walk of the train at Queensborough Plaza thinking: Man, that was weak compared to yesterday!

Yup, that's the R68s for you! :P

#262881  by Bay Head Local

I like the R-68's but they're kinda slow, especially along CPW, which you would think would be one of the greatest express runs in all the system considering the fact that there are no exp stops between 59-125sts!

#262945  by pennsy

Hi All,

Looks like my memory goes back a lot further than I thought. Just got the word that the old, really old, IRT cars I referred to had NO R rating in their nomenclature. They were called LV cars, referring to the fact that the throttles on the cab cars ran on low voltage. This was an improvement on the predecessors, which were called HV cars, for high voltage. Interesting piece of trivia. In any event, old as they were, they were reliable, always on time, and only snow and ice could stop them. Once had to get off the train at the Utica Ave station, because the New Lots line was not running. Snow and ice stopped it cold. Wound up walking in the snow and ice, from Utica Avenue to Pitkin Avenue, and home. The fellow I was with was from Israel, and had NEVER seen snow. He was pitiful trying to keep up with me. What a memory.

#269443  by ctaman34

Bay Head Local wrote:I like the R-68's but they're kinda slow, especially along CPW, which you would think would be one of the greatest express runs in all the system considering the fact that there are no exp stops between 59-125sts!
i agree with you the central park west express is slow

#269470  by arrow

I agree too, the R68s are very slow compared to some of the older cars. The R32, 38, and 40 seem the fastest to me. The R32 and R44 seem the most powerful though.

#269471  by pennsy

Hi Arrow et al;

How slow is slow ? I remember the A train barreling through the stretch from 59th st to 125th st at around 60 mph, possibly more. The stations seemed to whisk by. Quite a run. As a guess, I would say that the IND in that area is faster than any other line, BMT or IRT. Of course I will also guess that all the lines have governors on their speeds.

#269541  by F40

Yes, because of timers, the Central Park West stretch is no longer like the old days. You only reach 30 mph max there these days, even with the most skilled motormen.

What I enjoy about the R68 and R68A's are their unique 'masculine' sound that can be heard while they are idle. Their side profiles also look more shiny than most subway cars. The worst thing about them is probably their fickle PA system.
 #269564  by Head-end View

Timers? I thought this was an express run from 59th to 125th St. "Station Timers" are used approaching station stops and interlockings, and "Grade Timers" are used on downgrades in various locations. So why would there be timers on the long straight express run along CPW?

#269700  by chuchubob

pennsy wrote:Hi All,

Looks like my memory goes back a lot further than I thought. Just got the word that the old, really old, IRT cars I referred to had NO R rating in their nomenclature. They were called LV cars, referring to the fact that the throttles on the cab cars ran on low voltage...
Lo-V's
http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/o ... 24_060.jpg
http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/o ... 24_046.jpg
http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/o ... 24_045.jpg