Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#260959  by Robert Paniagua

First thing they do is a drug/alcohol/controlled substance test. Then, the remaining penalties if that test came back positive.

#261370  by Anonymous881

and what about if the test came back negative? Are you returned to service without any discipline?

#261741  by Robert Paniagua

It depends, even then, they would have to be sure that the engineer wasnt reckless or what have you before disciplinary action is taken.

#261777  by Anonymous881

So it's not like on the railroad where you get an automatic 30 day minimum for blowing a stop signal?
 #282453  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

I dont know how much time exactly one would get, but understand one thing you are going to be REMOVED FROM SERVICE, and disciplined. Running a STOP signal is considered a VERY SERIOUS offense. My uncle is a B division Motorman, and he told me they consider it like colliding with an actual train. I dont know how much time one would get, but u will get time off in the street, and u might even get time on the platform flagging train doors closed with a flashlight and a vest. Myself Personally the platform time, especially in the summertime is valid reason to keep myself on the straight and narrow. In Metro North, once a locomotive engineer is restored to service after being removed from service, according to rules all he/she would have to report to the system road foreman of engines, to review qualifications or any changes that have occured, review the employee's qualifications, and inspecting the employees manuals. the reason Railroads are sooo much stricter than NYCT, is because the FRA has specific rules for stop signal violations. see below:

FIRST VIOLATION 30 DAYS
2ND VIOLATION 6 MONTHS
3RD IF YOU STILL GOT A JOB, ONE YEAR
4TH IF U MARRIED TO THE PRESIDENT'S DAUGHTER 5 YEARS

#282458  by JFB

Interesting topic. Here's a question: Upon running a stop, is the motorman relieved immediately? Does the train sit in the tunnel (where the triparm put the train into emergency) until the relief shows up? Or does the motorman pull into the nearest station and relinquish his train there?

#289256  by CSX Conductor

Robert Paniagua wrote:It depends, even then, they would have to be sure that the engineer wasnt reckless or what have you before disciplinary action is taken.
They're motormen, not engineers. :wink:
NSLET wrote:
So it's not like on the railroad where you get an automatic 30 day minimum for blowing a stop signal?
There is also an additional amount of time between the time that the violation occurs and the time of the first hearing. :wink:

#300006  by Amtrak1028

Here on the railroad the right term is "engineman" :-)
 #302562  by keotaman

Hmmm, a transit fan forum, 3 railroaders reply & all give incorrect answers. Maybe the fans & workers should swap places?
Keotaman
Newbie on the Subway Forum

#302767  by alchemist

Actual title is, I believe, "train operator." Gender-neutral compared to former "motorman."

#302768  by Amtrak1028

the only one wrong here keota is you