Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#258376  by Love Train

Wow, with the N running local, that'll put the (N), (R), AND (J) Shuttle all sharing the Montague St tunnel, the slowest tunnel connecting Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan. Good lord, this is gonna be fun! Anyone who has plans to travel between Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan should probably cancel.

BTW, the (J) Shuttle is going to 9th Av because the switches at DeKalb are closed, right?

#258620  by Love Train

I wouldn't be surprised if they just don't run the J shuttle, since people can just use the N or R instead.

#258786  by Love Train

Or maybe they'll just run the (R) as its late night shuttle, possibly running express between 59th and 36th Sts in at least one direction. But then that'll interfere with the (D) train running express all weekend.

I'm assuming the (N) is running local on 4th Av all weekend. So that'll put the (J), (N), and (R) all through the Montague St tunnel AND the 4th Av local tracks. That'll be quite some fun! Again, I am guessing that they'll just not run the (J) shuttle the next two weekends because of the local (N).

#258836  by pennsy

Hi All,

I seem to remember that Montague St. station and tunnel. It was the last stop in Brooklyn before you went under the East River and into Manhattan. And so, it was quite deep. You had to take an elevator down from the street to the station. And the wind from the trains coming from Manhattan that preceded the train would blow you over. Also, the neighborhood above the station was rather ritzy. Lots of moneyed people lived there. I had an Aunt that lived near there, Pierpont st., and she definitely had the greenbacks.

#258840  by Love Train

You're thinking of the Clark St tunnel, and the Clark St station. This station is served by the 2 and 3 lines. It is very deep, and you have to take an elevator to get there.

#258875  by pennsy

Hi,

On Father's Day I am allowed to have a senior moment.

In any event, Montague St. is part of that neighborhood, and I hope that all of us at least, could afford to own an apartment, condo, etc. there. The area is called Brooklyn Heights, where the Hotel St. George is, and the view from my Aunt's penthouse condo on Pierpont st. was incredible. I will also never forget that in winter time, the winds would tear at the windows and howl. She had a telescope mounted near a window facing NY Harbor. Eavesdropped on many an Ocean Liner in those days.

And yes, isn't it always the case, the relative is rich, not you.

#262876  by Bay Head Local

Well the J is infrquent as it is, the headways for that shuttle are like evry 15-20minutes, its rediculous, the R never has good service anyway another line that has terrible headways and now that the N is running local maybe 4th Ave riders will actually get some good service :wink: (its rediculous that the only train running Local on weeknds is the R, the D should be running Local right along with it), plus the MTA used to run the M,N,R lines through the Montague St tunnel before so why should it be a problem now,the R and J aren't frquent enough to cause problems.