Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#247709  by Al T

The Hudson Tubes originally had its Newark terminal on Park Place from 1911 until moving into the new Penn Station in 1937. They then reached Penn via DOCK drawbridge over the Passaic River, which they shared with the Pennsylvania Railroad (later Amtrak and NJ Transit).

There was an old swing bridge over the Passaic River slightly north of Centre Street. Was this the original Hudson Tubes bridge from Harrison to Park Place?

I remember a two-level bridge there into the early to mid 1960s. I think it had a roadway for cars on one level and tracks on the other. I am interested in the history of transportation, bridges, and railroads, and would like to hear anything about this bridge, as well as when it was built and removed. I remember driving over it but the track level may have already been unused.

Does anyone remember if the tracks were the upper or lower level? I don't.

Thanks

Al T.

#248527  by JLo

Yes, the bridge you remember was the H&M bridge. Until the PAC was built and later Rt 21 was rebuilt, you could find rails and bridge abutments for it still in place. If you look through this site, you will see a lot of threads on this. Also, there is a NY city subway site, it's website address escapes me at the moment, with lots of H&M history. If you go to the Harrison side, you can still find the existing H&M rail line and bridge abutment rather easily. What is now a spur off the N&E is used for tanker cars.

#249158  by Bill West

The PRR’s predecessor crossed here when tracks first came west from Jersey City in 1833/34. The main moved south to Dock in 1870. The line continued as an industrial branch until the 1970s or later. I always assumed H&M was on top from 1911 to 1937 and the lower level branch allowed automobile traffic. Rutgers has City and county maps that show the long history of having a crossing here.

In the NJT forum, my Apr 29 and May 1 posts also touched this area. The PRR chronology mentioned is by Chris Bauer of the Hagley Museum and is on the PRRTHS site. The Library of Congress’s Birds Eye maps may show some old views.

Bill

PS: oops, Wikipedia says it was the upper level that was a roadway, added after H&M quit.

#249220  by Al T

Thanks to both of you

#253150  by timz

As I recall, the bridge was H&M on the upper deck, PRR freight on the lower. Autos used the upper level after H&M left. No idea how long PRR continued to haul freight on the lower deck-- 1960s?

#253194  by NHRR WTBY

JLo wrote:Also, there is a NY city subway site, it's website address escapes me at the moment, with lots of H&M history.
http://www.nycsubway.org It's a great site. I especially like the descriptions of the old BRT lines and the station-by-station tours of the individual lines.

You'll find lots of history of the H&M on this site. Enjoy.