Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#246248  by blasito

The Jersey Journal has a story today about JC mayor Healy pushing for a new station at West Side Avenue.

Journal Article

The PA is reported to be "cool" to the idea. Surprise, surprise!

#246255  by AndyB

In the "old" days there was a station on the PRR at Tonnele Ave. called Marion. The station was built 1881. A 1928 map of Jersey City shows it as an active station. Do not know when it closed, but recall it was not there in the 60s when I was growing up. I am curious now and will have to ride by and see if there are any remnants.

Do not think it was ever used by Hudson & Manhatten trains since there was a large station for the H&M at Journal Square just east of Marion. Also, just conjecture, H&M equipment was built for high level platforms. This station most liklely was a low level platform. The only photo of Marion that I have seen in Triumph V shows only the station building and not the platforms.

#246346  by JLo

In the "old" days there was a station on the PRR at Tonnele Ave. called Marion. The station was built 1881. A 1928 map of Jersey City shows it as an active station. Do not know when it closed, but recall it was not there in the 60s when I was growing up. I am curious now and will have to ride by and see if there are any remnants.
There was indeed a station there. My great-grandfather used it quite regularly. And, when informed in 1896 that he was a father of a seventh daughter (I'm sure you will not be shocked to know that he was Irish), he apparently could not think of any more family names. The legend goes that he decided to name the little girl "Marion" after the station. The story was not one that my grandmother liked hearing at every Thanksgiving.

#246803  by arrow

Another stop to sit (actually, stand) through?