Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#240325  by burkeman

I just wanted to know what happen to the R160's. Seems like no one is talking about them anymore. Im pretty sure the orders are coming in.

#262880  by Bay Head Local

They're still on their way theres a few test trains running around, Im mad because the look exactly like the R-143's :(

#352117  by F40

This site should help with the delivery and service of the R160's.

"The first 660 cars, worth $900 million, should be rolling by 2006, with the option order of 1,040 cars to arrive by 2009."

"The R160 order is intended to replace the following:

* Base order: 10 R-32 (GE overhauls), all R-38, all slant R-40, 110 R-42 (Coney Island overhauls) -- 53 cars for service increases
* Option I (if taken): remaining R-32
* Option II (if taken): all R-40M, remaining R-42 -- possible 40 cars for service increases."

Although for the "subway-buffs" the R160 may "disappoint" them, if a previous design has worked well, money will not be spent to redesign the new cars. See the R44 and R46 as an example and note their similarities.

#352588  by Love Train

I THINK this is what is going to happen:

All R160A-1s are going to go to the J, M, and Z lines. There are 340 R160A-1s. I'm pretty sure there are about 290 R42s in the Eastern Division. There are more R160A-1s coming in than R42s to replace, so the remaining R160A-1s will either be used as service increases or go to the L line to replace the R42s there.

The R42s in the Eastern Division will then get sent to the A and C lines to replace the R38s and R32GE rebuilds. There will be about 290 R42s replacing about 210 R38s and R32GEs. Now this is where I'm stuck. There will be about 80 cars left over. Now a number of things can happen from here. Probably this will provide for a service increase on the A and C lines (much needed, especially the C line) and 10 car trains on the C line (also much needed). But there probably still will be quite a few R42s left. So some R32s might be scrapped. OR they could be sent to the B and W lines. Why do I suggest this? Because there are now a few R32 sets running on the B and W lines. Those sets came from the N line. That's right, there are no more R32s on the N. The R32s that might be moved to the B and W lines might kill some R40s and R40Ms there. OR, they might kill the Coney Island R42s. The R160Bs that came onto the N line might kill the rest of the R40s and R40Ms. But where will the R68s and R68As go? Will they stay there? Or will they be sent off to another line? And where could they be sent off to?

Here's another thing to keep in mind. The total number of R160Bs plus the R160A-2s, both of which there are a few of running on the N line as we speak, is exactly equal to the number of R40s and R40Ms that are in existence, all of which are at Coney Island Yard. That means that these R160 cars could, and might possibly, kill all the R40s and R40Ms. But the R160s are going to run on the N and Q lines, while most of the R40s and R40Ms run on the B and W lines. The R160s are not going to run on the B and W lines, and neither are the R68s and R68As.

I could go on and on about what I think is going to happen, what might happen, whatever, but really all we can do is speculate. We will not know anything until it happens.

#352590  by Love Train

You know something? I'm quite mad. There are people who seem to know exactly what is going to happen, where the R160s are going, which cars are being killed, etc. All over different boards I keep asking two simple questions: Where are the R160s going, and what cars are being replaced? I either get "I don't know, its all speculation"s or I get "Look in other threads, its been mentioned in other threads". Well, if it was mentioned in other threads I would have found it! But its not there. They are two simple questions, and it is a simple concept, but I cannot seem to get a definitive answer.

Somebody please just say, without any "It was mentioned in other threads" BS, where the R160s are going, and what cars are going to be replaced or moved, and where those cars are going. And do it in English (as opposed to technical railroad talk that only people who work with railroads or the TA unterstand). It's not that hard. Really.

#352625  by F40

Love Train wrote:You know something? I'm quite mad. There are people who seem to know exactly what is going to happen, where the R160s are going, which cars are being killed, etc. All over different boards I keep asking two simple questions: Where are the R160s going, and what cars are being replaced? I either get "I don't know, its all speculation"s or I get "Look in other threads, its been mentioned in other threads". Well, if it was mentioned in other threads I would have found it! But its not there. They are two simple questions, and it is a simple concept, but I cannot seem to get a definitive answer.

Somebody please just say, without any "It was mentioned in other threads" BS, where the R160s are going, and what cars are going to be replaced or moved, and where those cars are going. And do it in English (as opposed to technical railroad talk that only people who work with railroads or the TA unterstand). It's not that hard. Really.
The website's information comes from a very reliable source, or the webmaster (David Pirmann) has access to that particular reliable source. I hope you haven't read anything on SubChat or on other forums like it before ranting. This is as far as I know. All other scenarios that may pop up in people's minds are merely speculation. A good way to save energy is to not read them, unless you know they are reliable.

#352975  by Majinvegeta

Love Train wrote:I THINK this is what is going to happen:

All R160A-1s are going to go to the J, M, and Z lines. There are 340 R160A-1s. I'm pretty sure there are about 290 R42s in the Eastern Division. There are more R160A-1s coming in than R42s to replace, so the remaining R160A-1s will either be used as service increases or go to the L line to replace the R42s there.

The R42s in the Eastern Division will then get sent to the A and C lines to replace the R38s and R32GE rebuilds. There will be about 290 R42s replacing about 210 R38s and R32GEs. Now this is where I'm stuck. There will be about 80 cars left over. Now a number of things can happen from here. Probably this will provide for a service increase on the A and C lines (much needed, especially the C line) and 10 car trains on the C line (also much needed). But there probably still will be quite a few R42s left. So some R32s might be scrapped. OR they could be sent to the B and W lines. Why do I suggest this? Because there are now a few R32 sets running on the B and W lines. Those sets came from the N line. That's right, there are no more R32s on the N. The R32s that might be moved to the B and W lines might kill some R40s and R40Ms there. OR, they might kill the Coney Island R42s. The R160Bs that came onto the N line might kill the rest of the R40s and R40Ms. But where will the R68s and R68As go? Will they stay there? Or will they be sent off to another line? And where could they be sent off to?

Here's another thing to keep in mind. The total number of R160Bs plus the R160A-2s, both of which there are a few of running on the N line as we speak, is exactly equal to the number of R40s and R40Ms that are in existence, all of which are at Coney Island Yard. That means that these R160 cars could, and might possibly, kill all the R40s and R40Ms. But the R160s are going to run on the N and Q lines, while most of the R40s and R40Ms run on the B and W lines. The R160s are not going to run on the B and W lines, and neither are the R68s and R68As.

I could go on and on about what I think is going to happen, what might happen, whatever, but really all we can do is speculate. We will not know anything until it happens.
Thats funny becuz i was outside with my sister yesterday and i saw R32s on the N! There's still like 2 sets left on the N. The W uses R32s in order to replace the R40 Sets that are in repairs or just not running. There has been rumors on how the R68A and some R68 cars would be moved to piktin yards along with some R42 cars so they can run on the A and C lines. I have to admit i was really suprised to see R32 sets on the B. Really really rare to see them on the B line. I really hope they dont scrap all the R32 cars. At least leave some for revenue service :(

#353089  by Love Train

Majinvegeta wrote:
Love Train wrote:I THINK this is what is going to happen:

Thats funny becuz i was outside with my sister yesterday and i saw R32s on the N! There's still like 2 sets left on the N.
Whoa, now that's news to me. That would ruin the theories of several people on other boards.

That's good news. I like the R32s a lot. They are great cars, long live the R32.

#353865  by Majinvegeta

yea those 2 last sets of R32s still remain. I was kinda happy cuz for me it would be kinda odd to see the cars run on the B on the 6th Ave side of the manhattan bridge. I also noticed at times the R goes along the bridge. Oh man i really gotta see that.

#354244  by Love Train

Majinvegeta wrote:yea those 2 last sets of R32s still remain. I was kinda happy cuz for me it would be kinda odd to see the cars run on the B on the 6th Ave side of the manhattan bridge. I also noticed at times the R goes along the bridge. Oh man i really gotta see that.
Well, its over now. All CI R32s are officially on the B and W lines. And some R40s and R40Ms have been moved to the N line. I'm pretty sure that the purpose of this is so that the R160s can directly replace the R40s and R40Ms. I wouldn't be surprised if all R40s and R40Ms are running on the N line by the time the R160s all come into service. This also explains why there are more R68/As on the B and W lines lately.

If the R160s replace all the R40s and R40Ms in CI, that will leave only a few R68/As to run on the N line. Here's some speculation that will solve the car overdose: The R68/As will temporarily run on the B and W with the R32s. Then, they will swap with the cars on the A and C lines, retiring all R38s and sending the Pitkin R32s to the B and W lines, where they will eventually retire. The B and W lines will therefore be all R32.

Everything is speculation. The only thing that is official now is that the N will no longer have R32s, and that will never change. Also, there are some R40s and R40Ms from the B currently on the N, and there are more R68s and R68As on the B and W lines, just like R32.

#363649  by Majinvegeta

Love Train wrote:
Majinvegeta wrote:yea those 2 last sets of R32s still remain. I was kinda happy cuz for me it would be kinda odd to see the cars run on the B on the 6th Ave side of the manhattan bridge. I also noticed at times the R goes along the bridge. Oh man i really gotta see that.
Well, its over now. All CI R32s are officially on the B and W lines. And some R40s and R40Ms have been moved to the N line. I'm pretty sure that the purpose of this is so that the R160s can directly replace the R40s and R40Ms. I wouldn't be surprised if all R40s and R40Ms are running on the N line by the time the R160s all come into service. This also explains why there are more R68/As on the B and W lines lately.

If the R160s replace all the R40s and R40Ms in CI, that will leave only a few R68/As to run on the N line. Here's some speculation that will solve the car overdose: The R68/As will temporarily run on the B and W with the R32s. Then, they will swap with the cars on the A and C lines, retiring all R38s and sending the Pitkin R32s to the B and W lines, where they will eventually retire. The B and W lines will therefore be all R32.

Everything is speculation. The only thing that is official now is that the N will no longer have R32s, and that will never change. Also, there are some R40s and R40Ms from the B currently on the N, and there are more R68s and R68As on the B and W lines, just like R32.
if R42s still last then that may be a new and good use for the B lines. If the R42s get xfered to piktin yards then those Piktin R32s should go on the B. I still dont like the idea of R32s on the B line tho. I think they should go on the R or prolly the F line. R68/A cars that ran on the N must come to the A line! that would be soooooo awesome :-D :-D . If R44 cars are still alive those should go on the B. It would be pretty neat to see R44s on the B. Also R42 cars should run on the A and C lines along wif some R40m cars if they would still be alive.

#363650  by Majinvegeta

Love Train wrote:

if R42s still last then that may be a new and good use for the B lines. If the R42s get xfered to piktin yards then those Piktin R32s should go on the B. I still dont like the idea of R32s on the B line tho. I think they should go on the R or prolly the F line. R68/A cars that ran on the N must come to the A line! that would be soooooo awesome :-D :-D . If R44 cars are still alive those should go on the B. It would be pretty neat to see R44s on the B. Also R42 cars should run on the A and C lines along wif some R40m cars if they would still be alive.

#364092  by Robert Paniagua

Maybe they should let the tunnel car order increase, get in some more R160s and keep the R32 through R42 until 2012 just to see where these older cars go. Especially with the Railfan Window, the D and F should get R38s, and the A and Rockaway Park Shuttle should get some slants (R40s) and maybe even the F too, which would mark the first time since 1987 the Slants have seen passenger service on the F.

#368313  by Majinvegeta

That would be awesome if the A line gets R40s. R32s should last a bit longer. I still think that the R44s should go on the B line.
 #368610  by Head-end View

I did an interesting circuit around Manhattan and Brooklyn today. On the N (Sea Beach), I was lucky enough to ride an R-40M. But what surprised me was the sight of 2 "new style" trains running on the "N". I don't know if they were R-143's or R-160's, and I wasn't able to spot any numbers. I also rode an R-40 slant on the B (Brighton Express) so it was an interesting day. Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to catch anything besides an R-44/46 on the F-line. I'm determined that if it's the last thing I ever do, I'm going to get a head-end view ride over that Smith-9th St. viaduct before all the corner-cab cars are gone!! :wink: