Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#235423  by arrow

The PA-4s were built by Kawasaki in 1986-1987 I believe.

#235425  by Mr. Harlem Line

Will they retire with the rest of the cars when the PA-5 Cars arrive?

#235432  by Irish Chieftain

No.

#235496  by arrow

The PA said that they would rebuild the PA-4 cars and retire the PA-1, PA-2, and PA-3 cars when the PA-5's arrive. I actually like the PA-4's the least. I ride PATH twice a day and always gravitate towards the other types of cars.

#235497  by Mr. Harlem Line

Will they make it compatible with the PA-5 cars?

#235763  by arrow

I assume they would run them together, so yes.
 #236160  by Head-end View

I wouldn't count on the PA-5 being compatible with the PA-4. We're talking 20 years difference in technology here. Looking back in PATH history, when the PA-1's arrived in the late 60's, they were not compatible with the K-class cars of 10 years earlier, which were bumped to Hoboken service. :-D

#236187  by Mr. Harlem Line

Unless they do some real serious overhauls on the PA-4 Cars, which costs money...

#236191  by Irish Chieftain

I wouldn't count on the PA-5 being compatible with the PA-4
Why not? They have the same builder (Kawasaki). If the PA-4 was designed to run with the elder PA fleet (builders being St. Louis Car Company and Hawker-Siddeley), no reason why PA-5 and PA-4 ought be built deliberately incompatible.

As for the K-cars, they came in during the time before PATH, being jointly bought by the Hudson & Manhattan and the Pennsylvania Railroad (who called their ones the MP52, per one source). The PA-fleet (note the name) was owned by the Port Authority; they did not buy the K-cars, whose ownership passed to Penn Central and subsequently to Conrail; and since there were but fifty of the K-cars to begin with (three damaged in an accident in 1963, reducing the fleet to 47) and the PA-fleet was to replace the remaining 200 non air-conditioned cars (the "black cars" and "red cars"), the K-cars became oddballs.

#246152  by Terrapin Station

Irish Chieftain wrote:No.
How do you know? PATH says they are replacing the fleet of 340 cars. That accounts for ALL of the cars of the current fleet, including the PA-4 cars.

#246157  by Irish Chieftain

What the PA said is that they intend to replace or rehabilitate the fleet of PATH cars, per this page from 2001...later on, they claim to intend to replace the entire fleet by 2011, on this page from 2005...but this page from 2004 indicates that the $809 million budget (same amount as quoted in the 2005 page) is intended to buy 246 new cars from Kawasaki and rehabilitate the newer cars, not to buy 340 new PA-5 cars (unless the price for new PA-5 cars has suddenly come down).

If the PA's going to junk the PA-4 cars, then they're foolish to do so. In 2011, the PA-4 fleet will only be 25 years old.

#246193  by Terrapin Station

Irish Chieftain wrote:What the PA said is that they intend to replace or rehabilitate the fleet of PATH cars, per this page from 2001...later on, they claim to intend to replace the entire fleet by 2011, on this page from 2005...but this page from 2004 indicates that the $809 million budget (same amount as quoted in the 2005 page) is intended to buy 246 new cars from Kawasaki and rehabilitate the newer cars, not to buy 340 new PA-5 cars (unless the price for new PA-5 cars has suddenly come down).

If the PA's going to junk the PA-4 cars, then they're foolish to do so. In 2011, the PA-4 fleet will only be 25 years old.
Based on the most recent press release, my guess is that they decided to replace them at age 25, without a rebuild, in order to unify the fleet. The cost savings of not having two different car types might offset the extra cost of replacing instead of rebuilding the PA-4 fleet.

#246195  by Irish Chieftain

Well, I hope it works out, in that case.

#246802  by arrow

I also remember the intitial announcement saying that they would retire the PA-1 through PA-3 cars but *not* the PA-4 cars when the PA-5 cars arrived. The plan was to rebuild the PA-4's.

In my opinion, those cars are in very good shape. Plus they're stainless steel. You can see that they are much newer than the others by just glancing at the interior or the exterior of the cars.