Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#223259  by Milwaukee_F40C

According to NYC Subway these cars are going to the Illinois Railway Museum. Those pictures were taken along time ago so I was wondering if they are there already. The last few times I have been at IRM I haven't seen them although they could be hiding somewhere.

A few years ago I had the chance to see and ride the Redbirds in New York. I had a camera with me and I could have taken some pictures, but I never thought about it. I was dissappointed to hear that they were dumped in the ocean.

So now that they may be at IRM it could be another chance for me to see them. Does anyone know anything about them?

Thanks

#231567  by Scrap em Again

Actually these cars are in NYA's Fresh Pond yard now. They been on the property for over a month now. They look to be in bad shape, but intact fully. They are also heavilly covered in graffitti.
I heard that they will be used for a movie shoot in the near future. Once that is done, I think they will be returned to NYCTA.

#232408  by BMT

Guys, just for your info: the two Redbirds were purchased by IRM when they were going to the scrapper about three years ago. So the cars no longer belong to NYCT. Thus after whatever filming the cars are being used for, I expect them to remain at Fresh Pond until the flats that were ordered for them arrive and their final journey to Illinois can begin.

Incidentally, I heard they were moved to Fresh Pond from Bush Terminal due to the lack of security there. I suppose they will be safer at FP.

#232763  by Scrap em Again

As far as I know, the cars take up precious space up in Pond. After the movie shoot, the cars will be booted of the property, wether back to TA, Gershow, or pushed of the float bridge at 65th st. :P. I highly doubt NYA will be doing IRM a favor by loading them onto flatcars. It would be a nice gesture, but realisticly, there are higher priorities.

#232817  by BMT

No, I mean when the flats arrive from Illinois at NYCH property in New Joisey. I expect the Redbirds will leave on flats from Bush T. So all NYA has to do is tow them from Fresh Pond back out to 65th Street.