Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#199390  by ctaman34

Why can't there be just one PATH service late night that makes all the stops in the system? It should have one operator at each end and when they turn the train the operator doesn't have to walk to the front of the train. I rode the late nights Journal Square via Hoboken service one night, and when the train terminated, the departing board started flashing.

#199959  by Lackawanna484

PATH makes exceptionally fast turns in the AM out of Hoboken.

A motorman and conductor are waiting on the outbound end of the platform when a WTC train arrives. They board, and set up. The incoming motorman and conductor exit the train, then walk to the end of the platform to take the next train out.

Saves 90 seconds per turn, good operating procedure if you ask me.
 #250663  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

I think they turn faster because their trains are only 7-9 cars long. I also believe they charge faster because they don't have penalty time, like NYCT trains do. Penalty time is when the engineer/motorman dumps the train, and it won't recharge for about seventeen seconds or so. PATH trains don't do that, because their engineers seem to charge the train very quickly after dumping it during the FRA-required standing brake test. I believe its charge, release the brakes, full service, then release, then let go of the deadman and make sure brakes go into emergency. They also can remove brake handles without dumping, unlike NYCT.

BTW, please don't call a PATH engineer a motorman; I saw a passenger do that once, and engineer was very nasty when reminding them they are a engineer.

#250751  by dgraiani

I don't think they go into full service before letting go of the deadman. I've watched them do this, but i never really paid attention to the particular order, so I'm not really sure. Does the train actually dump when they apply the deadman? The only air noise I hear when the engineer lets go of the deadman is in the cab. I also dont hear the compressors running to charge the train after the test.

I always assumed that the deadman put the train into full service.

I could be wrong... i can ask some people at PATH. I'm friendly with one of the engineers and a few people from the transportation division.

Dennis
 #250766  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

Actually, when letting go of the deadman controller (which is what they are holding onto to control the speed of the train), it is supposed to cause a emergency brake application. Here goes a basic training.
  • HOW TO STOP A SUBWAY OR PATH TRAIN
    AN EMERGENCY BRAKE SYSTEM KICKS IN UNDER FOUR CONDITIONS:
    1. Motorman/Engineer takes his/her hand off the controller, a device used to control the speed of the train.
    2. Motorman/Engineer moves brake handle (on his/her right side) to the emergency brake setting.
    3. If a crew member or a passenger pulls emergency brake cord
    4. If Engineer/Motorman passes stop signal displaying stop. The signaling system controls a specific limit known as a block. If the train goes into the area the signal controls, once the tail of the train is in the block, the signal displays red and trip arm is raised. If a second train goes forward anyway, the trip arm will strike a trip cock on the undercarriage of the train, triggering the emergency brake system. Once that happens, it will apply the brakes in emergency and stop the train no matter what the engineer/motorman does.
Hope this helps
I got it from the NY Newsday dated June 5, 1995, the article titled Motorman killed, 54 injured as J train rams M train.
Remember that day?

Also, on NYCT and PATH, releasing the deadman controller is to automatically apply the brakes in emergency. The only way to stop it is to apply a FULL SERVICE brake application. On NYCT, the air pressure is 80 psi. I'm not sure what it is on PATH, but to prevent the engineer's hand from cramping, upon arrival at a full stop, you can put the train in FULL SERVICE and have it NOT dump. Kind of like having your car stop at a RED light, and putting it in PARK—your engine is still running, but your car is STOPPED, and when signal says green, you release the park gear and continue. All trains have this.

Hope I helped…

#251281  by dgraiani

Thanks for the information! I was aware that that's the way it works on NYCT, I talked to one train operator while on the E train (he had his door opened) and asked him how he was able to take his hand off the controller while stopped at stations and signals. He explained the whole deadman system to me.

I'll have to pay more attention next time I'm on the PATH train!

Dennis