Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#199384  by ctaman34

to the r142 that had metal shoot up through the floor from the road bed

#200628  by Yanks Rule

It probably went to the main shop to be repaired. The main shop is where heavy work on cars is performed. The locations are Coney Island and 207 st. yards.

#200631  by arrow

I hadn't heard about this. Can you post some details? I know this happened a while back somewhere in Europe. The flange of the wheel separated from the rest of the wheel and was driven up through the floor of the train. It eventually caused the train to derail going over 100mph if I remember correctly.

#200637  by arrow

Well it was a high speed line in Europe somewhere, not a subway. I'll try to find more info on the situation I am talking about.

#200697  by LongIslandRRTom

Yea the European accident in question is the German ICE. Apparently they used wheels that had a layer of rubber between the outer rim and the inner wheel to deaden vibrations, which over time caused metal fatigue flexing in the rim and caused it to break off, sent it poking into the passenger cabin, and cause a high-speed derailment.

And to think that Amtrak was considering buying the ICE for NEC service back a while ago! Imagine how many such accidents would have occurred on the poorer quality track on the NorthEast Corridor which would have been much harsher on those wheels. (compared to specially-built high-speed tracks in Europe.)

National Geographic channel has an episode of Seconds From Disaster on that ICE derailment..

The R142s used solid wheels so I'm assuming the subway accident is probably caused by debris on the rails or faulty trackage..

#200807  by Yanks Rule

The cause of the subway accident was a piece of emergency protection rail came up from the roadbed. Emergency protection rail is usually found on elevated structures. It's purpose is to ensure no train falls to the street in the event of a derailment, collision etc.. The location where this incident occured had these rails because there is no wall between the two tracks. I assume if a train derailed at that location, no part of the train would cross onto the opposite track.