Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#199476  by ryanov

arrow wrote: I didn't say they should ask for less, but you never hear them agreeing to a new contract with the same terms as their current one do you?
Trouble is, the world changes. Things get more expensive, etc. Most of the stuff in the contract WAS old though... just retaining pensions and retirement ages, etc.. The only new parts I believe were raises and some poor working conditions issues.

#199671  by djlong

Ryanov: You *completely* missed my point.

Did you see the big *if* in there? I was talking about how the MTA should be more forthcoming, using Southwest Airlines as an example. Something that could be used to try and defuse some of the belligerence the two sides have towards each other.

Or are you forgetting that Toussaint is still saying that the pension part was the whole reason for the strike (I guess the "disrespect" quotes are forgotten) when it was the union proposing a full vested pension at age *50* and "backing off" to 55?

The MTA's requests don't seem terribly out of line with what the rest of the country has had to do in this era of increased competition.

And I think the TWU had a huge PR image problem when word got out as to how much better they have it than cops and firemen.

I know you're looking at this in a completely different light than I am. I mean, you made a comment earlier about how unions should be fighting for, among other things, keeping health care "free". The idea that you can even *consider* something so expensive as health care to be "free" shows me a disconnect.

Health care is a HUGE expense and it's getting worse far faster than inflation. One possible *aid* to this is if the MTA would offer something like "We're going to give you $X towards health care - here's a menu of plans for you to choose from" and people would actually start shopping for plans that suited them better. (Happens a lot in *large* private sector companies - I was fortunate enough to work for one firm where we had our choice of over a half-dozen plans though I don't anymore).

Believe me, when you hear things like the report I saw when I worked at a hospital that said that way over 3/4 of health insurance benefits are paid out to less than 2% of the subscribers, you see a *real* conflict on the horizon. Mark my words - the next labor negotiation is going to be about percentages of health care costs and plan options.

#199796  by ryanov

djlong wrote:Ryanov: You *completely* missed my point.

Did you see the big *if* in there? I was talking about how the MTA should be more forthcoming, using Southwest Airlines as an example. Something that could be used to try and defuse some of the belligerence the two sides have towards each other.
Yeah, but you've called the TWU selfish children. Open books or no open books, that is not an accurate characterization if you ask me. The if is therefore irrelevant.

[quote="djlong]Or are you forgetting that Toussaint is still saying that the pension part was the whole reason for the strike (I guess the "disrespect" quotes are forgotten) when it was the union proposing a full vested pension at age *50* and "backing off" to 55?[/quote]

First of all, the references to 50 seem to have jumped out of nowhere in the papers toward the end of the strike. I've only ever seen 55, which is status quo as far as I know. If you have some information otherwise, I'd like to see it (ie. from the union). It doesn't seem to be out there, and I'd like to be correct on this.
djlong wrote:The MTA's requests don't seem terribly out of line with what the rest of the country has had to do in this era of increased competition.
It's a public subway line... there is no competition, which became very clear when the workers went on strike.
djlong wrote:And I think the TWU had a huge PR image problem when word got out as to how much better they have it than cops and firemen.
Which is stupid, because what they SHOULD be doing is talking about how disrespectful it is to cops and firemen that they don't have salaries/benefits as good as the MTA, ESPECIALLY after 9/11 when a whole bunch of money was supposed to go to first responders. Sinking the TWU doesn't raise NYPD or FDNY.
djlong wrote:I know you're looking at this in a completely different light than I am. I mean, you made a comment earlier about how unions should be fighting for, among other things, keeping health care "free". The idea that you can even *consider* something so expensive as health care to be "free" shows me a disconnect.

Health care is a HUGE expense and it's getting worse far faster than inflation. One possible *aid* to this is if the MTA would offer something like "We're going to give you $X towards health care - here's a menu of plans for you to choose from" and people would actually start shopping for plans that suited them better. (Happens a lot in *large* private sector companies - I was fortunate enough to work for one firm where we had our choice of over a half-dozen plans though I don't anymore).

Believe me, when you hear things like the report I saw when I worked at a hospital that said that way over 3/4 of health insurance benefits are paid out to less than 2% of the subscribers, you see a *real* conflict on the horizon. Mark my words - the next labor negotiation is going to be about percentages of health care costs and plan options.
A disconnect between what? Free = I don't pay for it. And I shouldn't, either. I don't understand why people think that something as important as health care should be paid for by individuals. Why should only those can afford it be able to be healthy? Why should cancer victims or all sorts of other people who have MAJOR health expenses be bankrupt by these sorts of things. You're going to have fewer people drawing on the system than put into it. Really, what's the issue, unless like the other gentleman, you think that your money shouldn't be going to sick people because you're not the one with the problem.

Health care costs should be regulated down -- that means going after pharmaceutical companies with ridiculous profits that are gouging people on medicine because of extremely long patents. How much money you think Schering-Plough made on Claritin before the patent expired? I bet they covered their research costs MANY times over. And so, what, in the meantime they have the right to gouge people who are unfortunate enough to have extremely bad allergies (like me)? Apparently, instead we should be making people with less money pay more to get well. Sounds really fair to me.

Didn't want to get off on this tangent again, but it just seems so ridiculous that people would expect that individuals should pay for their healthcare when in most cases their health is entirely out of their control.

#200615  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:This is one of the best debates that this website has ever had! It all boils down to the haves vs. have nots and the safety net that this country should have on the subject of health care-a Canadian style system so that someone does not get wiped out financially if they get sick. A well-run union can make a level playing field if there is co-operation with management-not an us vs.them mentality. It seems there is some element of greed that gets in the way-being that money can be the root of all evil so to speak. An element of compromise is the key so all the leverage does not slant all one way. The TWU union had the leverage with their strike this time of year-it would have been different if it was June for example. Again-Interesting debate-Happy 2006 to all for my last 2005 post. - MACTRAXX

#200862  by 4 Express

IMO, The negotiations should've stayed on the table, like everybody advised.

It's better than messing up 7 Million peoples' lives.

#200888  by ryanov

It would be better if they had, but they didn't.

As far as messing up 7 million people's lives? I'm sorry, it was an inconvenience for a few days, but really that's not that big of a deal. Monetarily it was unfortunate, but the city had a lot of incentive to keep things at the table -- and did not. Frankly, the 7 million people are also involved in this process, so I really don't think it's necessary to shield them from it.

#200910  by Silverliner II

I heard the MTA and TWU finally came to a tentative agreement. True, or was that another rumor?

Down in Philly, SEPTA and the TWU/UTU got a 4-year deal, and it was a fairly decent compromise, with regards to the healthcare issue, which was the sticking point here.

#202292  by djlong

You're right that this isn't the place for such a tangent (health care costs and controls).

You can get into some lively debates on that and I really started to respond to that but this is a *railroad* forum and I just deleted a lot of text :-)