Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Carmine

Hi I'll be visiting Manhattan during the holidays and I wanted to know which stations in Manhattan and the Bronx are elevated / outdoors / above ground?

by drewh

Not too much in Manhattan. Take a look at the west side IRT (123) and also Metro North at 125th and Park Ave.

I think all routes except the IND (B&D train) are above ground in the Bronx.

Look at:
http://www.nycsubway.org

Take a look at 125th, Dykman, 207, and 215 on the West Side IRT (123).
http://www.nycsubway.org/lines/westside.html

I think everything else in Manhattan is undergroud.

You should definitely take a look at the temporary PATH station at WTC. All in the open now.

by Phil Hom

The Manhattan Valley at 125th Street is where the Broadway Local (IRT - 1) comes to the surface, as well as above 190th Street to the river. the 207th Street (IND) yard can be seen from the el.

These are the only outdoor running of rapid transit trains in Manhattan Island.

by bellstbarn

I agree with the previous posts. If you are short in time, definitely see the World Trade Center and the PATH platforms. From the street, one can see the "box" through which the #1 West Side train runs (South Ferry to 242nd Street). Unless there is a weekend service interruption when you visit, a trip to 242 street Van Cortland Park, with getting off the train at 125th and 207th northbound, waiting for the next train, is worth the excursion to New York and is economical in time. Because of the cursed full-width cabs, one has to get onto a station platform to get a good view of the tracks.
See #1 schedule at www.mta.info for trip time. Exploring NY subways can be very time-consuming for a railfan tourist, so plan ahead. You also ought to see what life under the el is like, and for that I urge a trip on #7 and a walk from 61st Street (Woodside, Queens) outbound towards Junction Blvd. No wonder NY is a cosmopolitan city!
I also rate the J highly, westbound, with a railfan window on most trips. Now, that raises an interesting topic: Where will a railfan tourist find clear front windows: on PATH to New Jersey (Newark, especially), on no numbered route (am I correct?), on the E and J. Others with a guaranteed view?

by bellstbarn

As far as The Bronx is concerned:
The #1 line is on elevated structure north of Dyckman Street, Manhattan, with the final three stations in The Bronx.
The #4 line is on elevated structure from 161 Street north.
The #3 line is on el from Jackson Avenue north. The same is true of the #5, but it becomes ground-level at East 180th Street, where it enters the right-of-way built about 1912 for the New York, Westchester, and Boston Railway.
The #6 is on elevated structure north of Whitlock Avenue.
Be aware of personal safety. Some northbound stations have no railroad agent (person selling Metrocards). On many northbound platforms, few passengers congregate because they leave the train and immediately descend to the street. A deserted platform could present a problem. It is, however, tempting to take photos of sun-drenched southbound trains from the northbound platform. It is almost impossible to get clear photos with your camera facing downtown (except some arty shots or some curves).
Another annoying problem on the platform of elevated stations is that various equipment booths have been constructed at the end of some platforms, obstructing the view.
If your trip includes a weekend, be sure to check for diversions. You don't want your precious time taken up by a bus shuttle, replacing trains.
Enjoy the trip!
  by (5) Bronx-Lex Av Exp

Carmine wrote:Hi I'll be visiting Manhattan during the holidays and I wanted to know which stations in Manhattan and the Bronx are elevated / outdoors / above ground?

4: elevated from 161st Street to Woodlawn.
5: elevated from Jackson Av to East 180th Street. Then it goes underground at the middle of Morris Pk Station to Pelham PKwy then it its open cut to Dyre Av. Part of Dyre Av is on a Elevated structure.
6: elevated from Whitlock Av to Pelham Bay Park
2:Elevated from Jackson Av to 241st Street.

by Robert Paniagua

4: elevated from 161st Street to Woodlawn.

With one exception, however, around Concourse Yard, where it descends into ground level (almost) on either end of Bedford Park Blvd station (at Concourse Yard), then it rises back up to EL after leaving Bedford Park Blvd.

Also Mr. Carmine, consider riding the Brooklyn/Queens IND/BMT EL's. The A to Lefferts Blvd and Rockaways, the D over the West End Line and the F to Coney Island which runs EL from Ditmas Ave all the way to Coney.

Also, consider going on the 7 to Queens which is EL right after Hunters Point Ave to Willets Points before diving underground, and the N from Queensboro Plaza all they way to Ditmars Blvd which is on EL the entire length.

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

the #4 Train does not go to street level at Bedford Park. It runs on the el structure onto a huge rock, which gives it the feeling of being on the ground but it's all above street level. This is a stretch of about 100-150 feet.