Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#202798  by geoking66

Well, the R142 is made out of stainless steel, which (being I don't know much about stuff like that) should be very good at not being scratched. I know of other systems that have cameras on trains, and it works very well, but the MTA doesn't have enough money for stuff like that. I don't think that most people or the government really understand the need for really good mass transit.

#203739  by F40

With stainless steel, graffiti comes right off using industrial paint stripper. But 'graffiti artists', as mentioned in the NY Times today, said they have some kind of acid solution that eats into the surface, leaving a permanent mark in the cars. According to the paper, trains on the A, B, C, D, E, F, N, Q, R, W lines (there might be one or two I left out) have been hit with these vicious markings. Also, picture windows (which cost $130 to replace) will not be replaced unless the window looks somewhat opaque (which I think that's holding it out a little too long). Transit officials are hoping it will not become an epidemic. (It won't as long as the vandals get caught, which then the cameras would come in handy.)

#204285  by arrow

I think it's pretty irresponsible of the press and of TV stations to advertise things like this.

I once watched a documentary of some kids that rode the whole subway system without getting off (don't remember the channel). They did a segment on graffiti vandals during the show. They had a camera follow these punks around with their spray paint. They showed them painting the interior of a station, then showed them illegally entering the tracks and hiding when the trains come through. It's pretty disgusting that they showed this, and I though, like I said, that it was very irresponsible of the network to show something like this.

#204286  by arrow

geoking66 wrote:Well, the R142 is made out of stainless steel, which (being I don't know much about stuff like that) should be very good at not being scratched.
Stainless steel scratches easily. The benefit of using it is that it does not rust.
 #206420  by F40

Head-end View wrote:F-40, I think you are mistaken about when the graffitti started. We older guys remember it better. It began in the early 1970's after the then new MTA repainted the older subway cars from their old dark colors to the new "standard" light gray with dark-blue stripe, similar to the new LIRR and new subway cars' steel color with blue stripe. In the new light color, the graffiti artists found a new place to go, as it were. :(
Thanks for the clarification.