Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#176440  by rollotomasi

...is currently served by the 1/2/3 (IRT) north of 42nd, and by the N/R/Q/W (BMT? IND?) south of 42nd. I guess Broadway was never served by one line? Why not, wouldn't that have been logical?

#176443  by Someone named Mike

When the subway was first built, it went up Park, across 42nd, then up Broadway.

Another line was added along Broadway later. The two lines were not interchangeable because trains with letter designations are a few feet wider than number trains. (I skipped a whole BUNCH of subway history there.)

#176455  by 4 Express

Someone named Mike wrote:When the subway was first built, it went up Park, across 42nd, then up Broadway.

Another line was added along Broadway later. The two lines were not interchangeable because trains with letter designations are a few feet wider than number trains. (I skipped a whole BUNCH of subway history there.)
Well, this & because the two lines for formerly two different companies that had two different ambitions.

#176950  by vanshnookenraggen

When the subway was first built the businesses of lower Broadway didn't want to have the road ripped up infront of their buildings.