Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#165346  by SubwayChaser

Past few times I've gone to Met games, I've seen in Corona Yard a set of 4 R36's coupled to a string of R-62A's. I even caught it entering the yard one time.. Anyone know why the 36's are hangin around there? I'd love to see a revenue mixed train of 36's and 62a's.

#165527  by 7 Train

R33 WFs (basically a single version of the R36s, but built about a year (1963) earlier), are assigned to Corona Yard to perform in-yard switching duties and to-move R62As to Coney Island for overhaul, as these Redbirds are double-ended and are used are protect motors. They could, of course also be used in scheduled service to fill in for R62A as spares, but this would be EXTREMELY rare.

R36's and R62A's can run in the same train, (same H2C coupler), but due to mechanical differences this is not due in regularly scheduled service.

#165566  by 4 Express

I thought the R-36's were retired from all revenue service.

#165830  by Robert Paniagua

Actually they are talking about the past, when they were in service, but they of course cannot run with passengers as R36/R62 lashup. Those two models do not trainline, and the R62/A and R142/A/S combo cannot trainline with one another.

#165854  by 4 Express

Robert Paniagua wrote:Actually they are talking about the past, when they were in service, but they of course cannot run with passengers as R36/R62 lashup. Those two models do not trainline, and the R62/A and R142/A/S combo cannot trainline with one another.
No, because the way 7 train was speaking, it sounded like he was speaking in the present tense.

#165901  by 7 Train

As a side note, R142/142As can also run with R36s, but a special coupler is required.

#171990  by PacificCommand

Actually, R33WFs CAN trainline with R62As.

Everything from R10 to R68A except the R44 can trainline. (R46s need s coupler adapter, although they have the R44 coupler, they are compatable with the standard smees.)
R142/3/160s can only trainline with eachother, and can do iron to iron moves with the others,

#171991  by PacificCommand

also. R33WFs WILL NOT run in passenger service. with the exception of 9306