Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1531535  by Pensyfan19

A division: Hey, can I copy your homework?
B division: Sure. Just change it up a bit so it doesn't look like mine.
A division: https://flic.kr/p/2igkYkp

Image from the following link
https://www.nyctransitforums.com/topic/ ... /#comments
 #1531538  by bostontrainguy

Are there no safety barriers between cars or is there something hidden in those three black squares on the leading edge?

Also, what exactly is that black "V" shaped object in front of the front door? Just a safety net? I don't think I have seen those on other cities subway trains but most other city trains don't allow passage between cars.
 #1531550  by andrewjw

Safety barriers like the ones WMATA had to retrofit onto the 7000 series cars? They might not be shown in the rendering, but all the other NTTs have them, so I would say if they are missing it is just a simplification/oversight.

The chains on the front door serve a similar purpose - when two sets are coupled, they connect the left side chains and the right side chains to provide guard chains to walk between the two sets, which are used just when the engineer and conductor need to switch ends at non-platformed reversals (think Crown Heights, Euclid Ave, 179 St, Broad St), or in case the conductor needs to move between the two sets midroute.
 #1531554  by NaugyRR

Looks like it belongs more in London than Manhattan... I'm not sure how I feel about the design. Are they still planning the whole open gangway thing for these as well?
 #1531562  by GirlOnTheTrain

Open gangways is probably dependent on how they fare in the R211 experiment, where a some sets will have them, and some won't.

As an employee I hope they don't. If someone pukes or takes a dump in a car, how are you supposed to isolate that car? The whole set will have to be taken OOS which is going to get old very quickly.
 #1531755  by andrewjw

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:48 pm Open gangways is probably dependent on how they fare in the R211 experiment, where a some sets will have them, and some won't.

As an employee I hope they don't. If someone pukes or takes a dump in a car, how are you supposed to isolate that car? The whole set will have to be taken OOS which is going to get old very quickly.
How do they handle this situation in other locations which currently run open gangways (Toronto, London, etc...)?