Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#156244  by arrow

I can't imagine that when it's a few years old and full of dirt and grime. I hope they make an effor to keep it clean.

#156286  by pgengler

It seems ... huge. Too huge. There's so much empty space in the middle there, it looks like it could take you five minutes to run from one side to the other. I know that it needs to be big to get from the street entrance to all the platforms, and that the temporary station reflects that, but it doesn't feel as large as this design looks.
As for the exterior, I think if the "spines" didn't go so much higher than the roof, it could look pretty good.
But then, I'm pretty utilitarian, and when you can get something simple (like the current station) I don't see the need to go with something extravagant like this.

#156483  by arrow

It's really not all that big, but yes I can see what you are saying.

#156498  by JLo

I don't think size is a problem. The existing station is huge as well. Think about how far it is from the platforms to the exit. I remember walking to to the E, thinking that I should just keep walking another 10 blocks to my destitination.

#156629  by pgengler

I think it's probably just that the new concept "feels" larger than it (or the current station) actually is.
I wonder how this will look when the other redevelopment of the site is done.

#156852  by F40

Looks attractive and sharp. But doesn't one see it rendered as a pork project?

#161355  by arrow

F40 wrote:Looks attractive and sharp. But doesn't one see it rendered as a pork project?
No, I don't, and I think it's nice that things are getting built with a little more care nowadays instead of just putting down whatever's cheapest like everyone's been doing for the past 30 or 40 years.

#161588  by Irish Chieftain

F40 wrote:But doesn't one see it rendered as a pork project?
If by "one" you mean this one here, then yes. Even PA money misspent is in essence user fees misspent. A fancy station doesn't make the trains run any better...or create new destinations for the trains to serve...

#161627  by arrow

So what would you like to see go there? A little wooden shack? The fact is it's a well-known location and deserves a signature structure like it's getting. This is why so many buildings built in the 60s, 70s, and 80s are eyesores and did not stand up to the test of time, because they were built ONLY with one thing in mind: money. Things are changing for the better now and I think that the PA did a great thing here.

#161641  by Irish Chieftain

So what would you like to see go there?
Something more along the classic lines and not resembling the feeding combs of a goose barnacle, to be frank.

What was built in the 60s through 80s was the result of taxpayer abuse (remember, urban renewal?)

I do not think that the PATH terminal in downtown is in danger of having a "wooden shack" sitting atop its entrance; but something at least more classic and less elaborate would suffice.

#176453  by Nasadowsk

<i>but something at least more classic and less elaborate would suffice.</i>

Ok, I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree here. Mostly because right behind the airport terminal look, the 'old tyme train station' look is one style I hate the most. It inevitably looks downright tacky after a few years, and looks silly when new anyway.

Personally? I'd like to see either something with 50's stlye clean lines, or something that's art deco, and I mean the real thing, not repeated angles and neon everywhere. Or dig up Erro Saarinen, zap him back to life, and let him cook up something...

#176873  by NJTRailfan

I would love to have somethign resemblign the Sarinaan TWA Terminal type structure as the new WTC hub. I hope it will be in use soon enough when Jetblue takes it over.

But what I would really liek the station to resemble is something that of the old NYP. I'm sure it won't be hard having stone eagles, columns and areas with shopping that are in these steel facade stores alogn with havign plenty of open space, escalators and elevators or if they do plan to go with art deco then do something that resembles Buffalo Central Terminal.

#178069  by arrow

It needs a modern design, not one like the old Penn Station. And, I also think that building it to resemble the old TWA terminal is a major mistake. Look at what that building looks like now - very dated. Sure, there are some historians and architects that will want to keep it, but when it comes down to it the design is just completely outdated and most people don't like the way it looks. A more timeless design would be nice for the transit hub but I think they want to show a look of modernism for the entire complex.

#180418  by NJTRailfan

Well i nthat case the new Penn Station will look alot like the cross over of the Secaucus Transfer and the new International Terminal out at JFK. sure big wide space and Natural light will return but I certaintly hope the columns and the preserved eagles and the night and day clocks which are also preserved and the lamposts wil lcome back. NYP isn't the same without those elements.