Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#929844  by Silverliner II

Head-end View wrote:I'm surprised to hear that it has always been illegal to take photos on PATH. Back in about 1990 I stood at the end of the platform at Journal Square and at Harrison for a while taking pictures, and no one even seemed to notice. I even took them from the front windows of a train that same day. The conductor did politely ask why I was taking photos but when I explained about being a rail buff, we had a good friendly conversation. He didn't tell me not to continue. :wink:
Awesome conductor. I was taking some friends from Canada to NYC for the day, and one of them took a few pictures out the window of the Manhattan skyline. The conductor (not very pleasantly) told her to stop taking photos and put the camera away because it was illegal on PATH. When she point-blank asked him why, and what the rationale was behind it, he couldn't even come up with an answer beyond threatening to call police and have her removed from the train. Another deadheading employee who overheard the conversation could only come up with "because they don't want anybody taking photos of PATH property." The police officer who came on at Journal Square couldn't even answer the question, simply saying "it's been the rules since I've been here and that's going back to the 80's."

Luck of the draw, I guess. As for myself, if I ever want to get video of PATH trains, well I guess I'll have to find a street or bridge in Jersey City to work from....
 #929849  by Head-end View

Well, then again my experience with the friendly conductor was 20 years ago and he's probably retired by now. And I imagine everyone employed by PATH is probably on edge in the post-911 era.
 #929871  by Silverliner II

Head-end View wrote:Well, then again my experience with the friendly conductor was 20 years ago and he's probably retired by now. And I imagine everyone employed by PATH is probably on edge in the post-911 era.
True on all counts....
 #930080  by Allan

Head-end View wrote:Well, then again my experience with the friendly conductor was 20 years ago and he's probably retired by now. And I imagine everyone employed by PATH is probably on edge in the post-911 era.

The "No Photography" rule was in place on PATH many years before the events of 9/11.
 #930538  by Tommy Meehan

They're an authority so they don't have to answer to anyone but their own bondholders. And any politician with an instinct for survival wants to avoid a confrontation with the Port Authority at all costs!

But to give them credit they do allow fan trips. The Electric Railroaders Association has a tour of the Harrison Maintenance Shops coming up. (Possibly it has already happened, when I heard about it I was told it had already sold out.)

PATH has done it several times, too.

When they were at the old Hoboken Try Transit Festivals they used to have a very friendly staff present. Lots of giveaways too. I still have one of the foam rubber PA4 cars they used to give away. :)
 #930554  by Tommy Meehan

Tommy Meehan wrote:The Electric Railroaders Association has a tour of the Harrison Maintenance Shops coming up. (Possibly it has already happened, when I heard about it I was told it had already sold out.)
I checked the ERA site. Sorry if I got anyone pysched up -the Harrison Shop tour was on April 9th. My bad.