Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#11111  by efin98

Otto, could it be a special express train to 42nd St/GCT to meet a race special?

#12191  by Otto Vondrak

No clue. The photo must date from the 1960s. There are no subway lines that go to Yonkers (let alone the Raceway), which is across the border in Westchester County. Closest IRT line would be the 1/9 to Woodlawn...

-otto-

#12233  by Robert Paniagua

Oh Ok, Otto. Probably that photo from around 1970 then. Besides, no NYCT routes, even being the largest transit system, doesn't leave the city limits of New York.

#13153  by Otto Vondrak

Ok- maybe I wasn't clear in my post above. I was wondering if anyone knew why this train was decorated with a banner for Yonkers Raceway. I know that there are no subway routes that go to Yonkers- it's located across the border in Westchester County. What use would Yonkers Raceway special be if you have to take the bus there anyway?

I guess this photo will remain a mystery for a while.

-otto-
 #13207  by Mike Roque

Otto Vondrak wrote:Closest IRT line would be the 1/9 to Woodlawn...
That would be the 4 train to Woodlawn, but geographically speaking, the 2 Train at 241st Street on White Plains Road is closer...

Sheesh! :wink:
 #18483  by Dave Wallace

The train in the photo likely terminated at Bedford Park Blv'd on the Jerome Ave #4 line. This station has always been a connection to Westchester bound buses. Circa 1970, the bus companies servicing this station included Club Transporation and Westchester Street Transporation. Both companies offered special bus service to Yonkers Raceway and very likely supplied connecting service from Bedford Park to the Raceway.

In fact, I recall several times seeing Club Trans buses signed up for Yonkers Raceway and as mentioned above, I believe these coordinated service with the subway.

#19149  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

I lived along the Woodlawn-Jerome Avenue (now designated #4) line. In the early 1960's they would send 3 or 4 trainsets of R17's from the #6 line up the center track to take race track fans to Woodlawn Station where they would then switch to Club Transportation line buses to take them to Yonkers Raceway. These trains would originate at Grand Central and proceed up the Lexington Avenue Line Express line with stops in the Bronx only at 149th Street, Burnside Avenue and then Woodlawn. Don't remember for how many years they ran this service. Think it was for about 4 years but I'm not sure.

Incidentally, Bedford Park Blvd only made connection with the Club Transportation Company buses. Woodlawn Station connected with the Club Transportation Company and Yonkers Railroad Company buses. Westchester Street (Westchester County's division of the Third Avenue Railrod Company) did not go to the Woodlawn-Jerome Avenue line.

Not to digress, but does anyone out there know where I can view photos of Westchester buses from the 1950's and 60's? No luck at Liberty Lines or Westchester Deparment of Transportation nor any of the the Westchester public libraries.

#41803  by GP38

Wow, that is a cool photo!
Does anyone know if those Yonkers specials used the express track on the Jerome El when they ran?