Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#154395  by blasito

HARRISON, N.J. (AP) — The MetroStars plan to build a $92.2 million stadium that would give the Major League Soccer club a home of their own, under an agreement announced Thursday by state and local officials.

The team, now in its 10th season at Giants Stadium, expects the new 20,000-seat venue to open in June 2007.

The stadium planned for Harrison would put the team in a mile-square town of only about 14,000 people, but it lies in a densely populated, soccer-crazy swath of New Jersey that includes neighboring Kearny and Newark's Ironbound section.

Officials described the stadium as the centerpiece of a $1 billion redevelopment of the Passaic River waterfront in this Hudson County town across the river from Newark.

The team's parent company, AEG, would own the stadium, foot its $92.2 million construction bill and pay its operating costs. The company would be responsible for cost overruns, and plans to schedule concerts, international soccer games and other events at the stadium.

Harrison is to raise about $40 million to buy the land for the stadium by issuing bonds.

The MetroStars would pay $1 a year to rent the land, and make payments of $125,000 annually in lieu of taxes, officials said.

The stadium complex includes a new 1,500-space parking garage, which is to be built and owned by the county on land the county buys. Officials said revenue from PATH commuters will support the garage.

"We feel strongly that this new stadium will serve as a focal point for the redevelopment of our waterfront and that it will truly make Harrison a destination for people throughout the region," Mayor Raymond J. McDonough said.

The plan needs approvals from local officials.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/s ... ostars.ap/

#154398  by arrow

How is it that these sports teams seem to get everything for free when the rest of us hard working people have to pay through the teeth for taxes and other costs associated with owning property.

So the PATH commuters not only will be paying for their ride to work, they'll also be supporting the Metrostars and their free stadium. How nice!

It amazes me all the time just how much this country revolves around sports, it's completely backwards.

#154526  by JLo

How is it that these sports teams seem to get everything for free when the rest of us hard working people have to pay through the teeth for taxes and other costs associated with owning property.
I didn't see the Metrostars getting something for free, considering they have to spend $92mm. Yes, the team is cheap rent on land that is vacant and for which the town is receiving minimal tax revenues. The town needs to clean up the brownfields and create some kind of draw to get the rest of the real money they hope to generate from this project--new condos and office parks.
 #154704  by blasito

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/news/archives/001305.html - Great fact checking and dirt digging.

the plusses are the new parking for PATH riders at Harrison,
increasing ridership on PATH and reducing car traffic during soccer and concert events, and the investment in redeveloping industrial Harrison.

The minuses are the tax breaks and the great rent ($1.00 !!), but at least the town will still own the land, as I understand it.

Then there are the hassles. PATH runs a great little commuter subway extension of the NJT Commuter trains, with a very tight budget and a very predictable demand for services. I've never been on the PATH or NJT after an event at the Garden, how well do they handle crowds there? I imagine it's a mess, but I could be wrong.

I think it's time for PATH to rethink its customer demographic and look to where ridership will come from in 5 years, and how the new stadium and Newark Arena will add event crowds to the current ridership. Perhaps they could even think outside the box and reinvent themselves. Now is a good time.

What is the maximum service frequency PATH can operate? every two minutes?

If they run full service from 5am to 1am, do you think ridership would eventually increase to meet the capacity of service?

How much will price limit that ridership increase? Will increased revenues be enough to cover increased costs? Could shorter trains at low demand times save money?

When trains are available like elevators, it completely changes how people use them. Having a system wide 1 or 2 hour ticket, good for free transfers could also greatly increase ridership.

I would bet that when people know they don't have to wait even 5 minutes for a train at night, 30 to 40 % would take PATH instead of driving.

Guarantee a seat and a quick connection to NJT and I'd say 60 to 70%.

But maybe the PA would rather get their money at the toll plazas.