Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#153113  by arrow

I've noticed the new turnstiles being installed at platform H in Newark Penn Station. I'm wondering what the point is since that platform is used as an exit only. The turnstiles at the entrance platforms are the old turnstiles, so why aren't they replacing those instead?

They are installing a lot of the new turnstiles up on platform H in front of the main exit to Track 5 and the station, at the ramp to tracks 3 and 4, and the stairs to Track 2.

I'm assuming there is a good reason for them installing this many turnstiles in an area where they will probably never be used.

#153117  by pgengler

Platform H gets used for boarding sometimes when there's track work going on and trains aren't running on the track to the lower platform. I know of at one time that it happened, on a Saturday morning; the train I was on was held for a (long) while somewhere between JSQ and Harrison, and when we rolled into Newark (on Platform H), there was a crowd of people on the platform and lined up through the turnstiles waiting to board.

I don't know why they would do those before the ones on the main level platforms, though. Maybe one of the tracks is going to be OOS in the near future, and PATH wants to be ready for upstairs depatures?

#153150  by Irish Chieftain

I'm wondering what the point is since that platform is used as an exit only
Probably increased security measure...plus, if an EWR extension really gets the go-ahead, they'd be ahead of the game in terms of having turnstiles for people to pay for the southbound trip.